Wynton Controversy

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Oct 26, 2006.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Hey all

I was over at one of the other trumpet forums (don't hate me please, I haven't been there in a very long time). I came across a thread about Wynton. The question was, "Is Wynton considered to be a Jazz giant" or something along those lines. I read it early this morning and after reading some of the responces it was easy for me to come up with a few choice words on the subjet. The whole thing just got my blood going! I had to share the opinionated thread with all of you!

So I guess I now pose this question to you, though mine is not "IS Wynton a jazz giant" but rathar "Do you think he is a jazz giant". I have my own opinions which I won't bother re-writing here. The short answer for me is "he may not be a GIANT when it comes to jazz but I would consider him to be a jazz musician".

Let's get a little controversy going!
    http://www.trumpetplayeronline.com/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=4866

Eric

2. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  3. ptynan

ptynan Pianissimo User

Sep 13, 2005
    Antigonish, NS
    I guess we'll know in about 50 years....

4. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  5. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    Not only that he is the most important player in this century but gzzzzzesh!
    How many other human beings with not only talent for playing trumpet (yes of all styles) also has won the musical composers P-Prize for "Blood on the Fields" AND ONE AMAZINGLY GIFTED JAZZ MUSICAN.
    I am adorning my BRASS-FLACK-JACKET on this very moment when I shall proclaim:
    WYNTON MARSALIS, at this moment in time is.....

THE "DUKE ELLINGTON OF THIS CENTURY!"

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003

If we are to draw comparsions, I feel that Wynton is more like the Leonard Bernstein of our generation than Duke Ellington.

Ph, could you provide us with specific criterion for judging someone a jazz giant?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  7. krossum

krossum Piano User

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY, USA
    When it comes down to it - musicians do not get to decide who is knighted a jazz giant. Our wonderful media channels, backed by corporate muscle, will bestow that honor.

My thoughts are along the lines of - Wynton is Wynton. Read between the lines... there are very few musicians in the world that can truly fall into the elite category of being their own entity. I do not believe Wynton is the Duke Ellington of this century; he's the Wynton Marsalis of this century.

...and man, what a killin' trumpeter!!

-Kelly

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I don't know - have you ever heard Doc play classical? It's at least as good as Wynton. Have you ever heard Wynton play "Doc-style" stuff? I think Doc wins. He just hasn't been hyped by the media. But, Wynton is no slouch, either.

9. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    In order to settle this thread down on this issue, could you list those facts?

Thanks,

Liad

10. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    If by giant you mean one that stands out and over most other trumpet recording artists, then "Yes" is my answer. He is amazing--as are several others out there. There can be no right or wrong answer here, you know?