Wynton Controversy

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Oct 26, 2006.

1. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    OK! OK!!!! I STAND NAKED! MY BRASS-FLACK-JACKET...BLOWN AWAY LIKE AN IRAQEEEK-INSURGENTS WET-DREAM!!!!!

WYNTON HAS INDEED MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE AND RIGHTFULLY
    HAS EARNED HIS SPOT AND THE HEAD OF THE MUSICIANS TABLE!

My name is Don L. Shultz and I approve this message!

2. tombrown1

tombrown1 Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2005
    Jazz giant and one of the best musicians to every walk this earth. Also has probably done more for jazz in terms of exposure and education than almost anybody.

He's no Miles, no Satch, no Diz, no Doc - but none of them holds a card to Wynton either.

3. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Wynton cannot write good music and is a wee bit held back in the way he plays. It is not that I don't like him, but he is not even close to Miles Davis. He is young and Naive, but we will see maybe he will begin moving the genre forward eventually instead of holding jazz back.

(Bands that move jazz foward would include:
    Medeski Martin & Wood, John Scofeild and Miles Davis)

I think it is all important that jazz is moved forward. New sounds, not old sounds.

4. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    "Young" and "naive" :dontknow:

Isn't Wynton in his late 40s by now.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  5. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Wynton is certainly on his way~
    Remeber, he's still only 44. He's a long road ahead yet*

6. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    I agree. Though I like listening to him play some smooth jazz, whether it's intentional or not, I hear the odd cacked note every now and then. This certainly would not do in any of his more classical recordings.

Eric

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I love controversy but I don't like this topic. It's so subjective.

He is a great musician weather you like his stuff or not.

He is doing what he wand's to do musically weather you like it or not.

He definitely knows how to play the trumpet.

8. tombrown1

tombrown1 Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2005

Did Satch hold back jazz when he played in the same style for about 50 years? Did Diz hold back jazz when he did the same thing for 50 years? What about guys like Lee Morgan, Clifford Brown, and Freddie Hubbard - they made themselves into giants without advancing jazz into a new era.

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I was about to interject that I have enjoyed observing Wynton's growth, expansion and diversion as a person equally, or perhaps more, than his trumpet playing over the years. I think he has matured and stepped up to the plate on a lot of fronts - in performance, jazz exposure and music education.

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I should have listened to my first impulse and skipped this thread. But, since I've already put my feet in the quicksand, I'll sink a little more. The original question was if Wynton is a "Jazz Giant". I think he may be one of, if not the best all-around trumpet players of all time, so I'm in agreement with many of you on that point. That said, only time will tell if he becomes a "Jazz Giant", but I don't think he's quite there yet (except maybe on PBS).