Wynton..fast fingers or fast tounge??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PhatmonB6, Nov 29, 2005.

1. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    http://www.smartmusic.com/video.aspx#practice_tool Click on the make practicing fun video clip.

It sounds like he is tounging every single note. Is he?? IS this double tounging or just fast fingers keeping up with his tounging?? Whatever it is it sounds awsome!! ;-)

2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    The first video, right? Sounds to me like double tonguing.

I just installed SM 9.0 yesterday. We will be investigating, among other things, the extent of how it can be used in the lesson setting, and any pedagogical issues and advantages.

I've used it so far in scale tests; very difficult assesments. The main difficulty is rhythmic. If you are the slightest shade off, it counts against you. This ended up mostly frustrating the kids, so I didn't count the grade created by the assessment tool.

I did, however, hear my beginning oboist and one of my sax doublers playing Hot Cross Buns out of the SOE accompaniments before vacation; they sounded like they were having a blast, and did not want to leave the practice room at the end of the period.

I'm particularly interested in this most recent version's approach to teaching improvisation. I have yet to use that, as I just installed yesterday and want some time with it before I put kids in front of it.

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Wynton is double-tonguing. The tune is Cherokee.
    We played it faster in Philly :cool:
    Wilmer