Wynton Is Coming to Calgary

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by Tootsall, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Woo Hoo! I scored my 4 tickets before posting (didn't want all you guys in Edmonchuck taking the last seats!)

Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Centre Jazz Orchestra
    Jack Singer Concert Hall (Ecpa), Calgary, AB
    Sun, Feb 6, 2005 08:00 PM

Info at Ticketmaster.ca and http://www.reallivearts.com/cgi-bin/public/event_view.cgi?event_id=2071&type_id=11&parent_id=

No info available about Winterpeg nor the Wet Coast (I think I saw mention of a Seattle stop though).

Edit: AHA! An update. They will be in Edmonton Monday, Feb 7. Info at http://www.unionevents.com/events/

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
  3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Do they play Jazz north of the border? :wink:

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Yes. "Cool" jazz. :D In the winter, "Very Cool" jazz. :lol:

A very short list of jazzers from up this-a-way... and in no means a complete list!

Rob McConnell (Boss Brass)
    Diane Krall
    Ingrid Jensen
    Oscar Peterson
    Maynard Ferguson
    PJ Perry
    Guido Basso
    Moe Koffman
    Michael Kaeshammer

5. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hi :D

You Calgarians are so lucky!!! What about us guys in Windsor Ontario? I'd love to see Wynton, and specially hear what Monette he is playing. Man to own a $10,000 Monette...theres a dream! :shock:

Rick Chartrand

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Rick, he seems to be doing a N.A. tour. I see that he is in Seattle for a couple of days, then up to Victoria, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and then ? (Winnipeg?) You might find something at ticketmaster.ca for Ontario.

I don't care what horn he's playing... I caught the gala opening of the new Jazz hall in NY on PBS and decided that I WANT to hear that group live (I only wish that the Afro Cuban Jazz group were touring with them!)

7. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    I heard Wynton this summer on his new Prana Monette. It's not his decorated horn, but a pretty standard weight one. Pretty sweet stuff. I also snuck back stage to talk to him. He told me to "make my own reality." He's really accessible, so if you get a chance to see him, try and talk to him.

8. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Re Wynton

Hi Guys

Ya to see Wynton in Ontario would be NICE! :D I heard that he was playing a new Monette Prana too. Nice horn, but you know what they say...you will always sound like yourself on whatever horn you play. If youre a great player than you are a great player. A really good custom horn is only half the story. I recently tried a Courtois Evolution and the tone, feel balance blew me away. I am a pretty good player (people tell me I sound like a cross between Chet and Wynton) but in the end on that Courtois I still sounded like me. Make sence?

Rick Chartrand

9. Meldog

Meldog Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2004
    Blaine, ME
    Definately seeing the group was one of my personal college highlights. He came up to the University of Maine around 2 years ago and I was just floored. I loved the whole concert. What just topped the night of was going back stage and hanging with him for about an hour or two. We took lots of pictures with him and he was more then happy to do it and just listening to him talk was incredible. We all left there on cloud nine!!
    Adam Metzler

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I seriously doubt that I'll even be thinking of the "backstage thing". I'm taking my wife and 15 year old twins (both in jazz band), it'll be a 2 hour drive home on lonely, Alberta mid-winter roads after mid night and they have school the next day. Still, just going to hear the group should be a treat for both of the kids. (There's that altruistic old dad again... suffering (HA) for his kids! :D ).

Besides, we're not going just to see/hear Wynton. We are going to see/hear the whole darn group! There isn't a weak link in there (that I've heard so far, anyway). Got good tickets by purchasing early too... center front row balcony. See/hear everything from there and nobody to block the view.