Wynton Marsalis and Fred Rogers

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hornydude, Apr 12, 2015.

1. hornydude

hornydude New Friend

Apr 5, 2015
    Indiana
    While channel surfing this morning I noticed Wynton as a guest on the Mister Rogers show from 1986.

Needless to say, Wynton was awesome along with the other musicians accompanying him.

It sure was a beautiful day in the neighborhood!!! :-)

[​IMG]

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
  3. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I remember watching that episode! Holy moly, i remember being totally confused by that cascade of notes.

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Boy, those opening notes sure brought back some memories. When my son was very little, he'd be sitting in his high chair and that music would start and like someone flipped a switch, he'd stop what he was doing and just be mesmerized.

Fun video, thanks. BTW - where'd all those white guys come from? LOL.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Nice vid. I've never met Wynton, but I had the pleasure of meeting Fred Rogers - smaller than I would have thought him to be, but just as nice and gracious as anyone you'd ever want to meet.

6. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    He also drove around his neighborhood (and elsewhere) in his red 1961 Corvette!

7. jjcousin

jjcousin Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Cleveland, OH
    To get through college I took summer jobs as security guard around Pittsburgh.
    One week I had an assignment around WQED, his station and I was to patrol the parking lots near and around the building, including across the busy street which I had to cross several times a day for "rounds."

One day I was returning across the street in my uniform, and who but Fred Rogers pulls up next to me and asks me if I'd like a ride back to the station (just across the street). I didn't have the heart to tell him it was part of my rounds or that I would want to refuse riding with Mr. Rogers!
    (It wasn't a 61 'Vette - but more like a Buick - LOL)

So I took that short ride across the street and chatted with him about where I was attending college and other silly things for a very short time!

He certainly was as nice and kind as he seemed on the screen!