Wynton Marsalis "FINE TUNE-THE GOLD COLLECTION?"

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by BADBOY-DON, Jun 6, 2005.

1. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    Just picked up a discounted Wynton Marsalis copy at a local Warehouse music store made by???????
    FINE TUNE LLC
    12 Burdick Drive
    Albany NY 12205
    (under excluse license from Recording Arts SA??????????????)
    Whaaaaaaaaaadaheck is this??????????)

I paid only $4.99 for this CD which contained very very little or NO INFORMATION about the recordings....as to when or where or who accompanied Wynton on this album?

On the disk itself, is written #113-2 with a circled P 1998? and with a different conflicting information from the cover packaged pamplet. Also the address of this THE GOLD COLLECTION is different as well as a different recording location and date.
    On the album..it shows
    #150. 1997 N. OLDEN EXT.
    TRENTON, NJ 08618

Not that this makes any difference....but after carefully listening......it would appear that the cuts are pieced together and Wyntons sound doesn't seem to match the fellow musicians?????
    The songs played by Wynton...seem totally different renditions or versions that I have heard his play on other CDs.
    The cuts that really boggle my mind are????
    My Funny Valetine
    Round 'Bout Midnight
    Angel Eyes

Wilmer, uhhhhhh? Didn't you tell me one time that when it comes to deals on CDs like this $4.99 recording by major artists such as Wynton just might not have the blessings or authorizations needed?

Bottom line: The litte 16 page booket with rare photos and words by Wynton are to me.......are actually better and more important that the CD itself.
    Wynton, on this CD, for some reason..... just doesn't seem to really put himself into these same songs with the same soul and feelings that I have heard him record those other main stream cds? When he plays...he seems "hurried" and the improv on these notable classics seem almost like he is just "experimenting or woodshedding possibilites?????
    Never the less.......to me, anything Wynton records.....are always worth each and every penny spent. :dontknow: :?:

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Hi Don.

I gave Wynton a call about the CD........of course he's out somewhere.

Unsanctioned CDs pop up frequently, this sounds like one.

As far as I know he only has recorded for Columbia/Sony or Blue Note.

Wilmer

3. etownfwd

etownfwd New Friend

Jan 8, 2004
    PA
    From what I can gather about this (I also have this disc), it appears to be a bad partial copy of the Live at Bubba's CD when Wynton was with Blakey... I think that it was supposed to be rec'd on Oct. 11 of '86 Although I could be wrong about ALL of this. Let's hope that Wilmer can get the real low-down from his skain-ness.
    -efwd

4. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Interesting, I've got this album too. I remember paying around five bucks for it as well. It'll be good to shed some light on this one. I totally agree with BBD's assesment of the recording.

5. etownfwd

etownfwd New Friend

Jan 8, 2004
    PA
  6. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    --------------------------Thanks for the attachment, however it seems for some reason???????? This webpage as well as the ALL MUSIC.COM is not veeeerkin' this morning????? :dontknow: :?:

7. etownfwd

etownfwd New Friend

Jan 8, 2004
    PA
    BBD,
    It might also be because you aren't a registered user and because I copied and pasted it from this PC. It's free to register and all you need is an email address. Not that I am pushing anything, but I can say that I find that site to chock-full-of really valuable info.
    -efwd