Wynton Marsalis on Letterman tonight (5/13/09)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gbdeamer, May 13, 2009.

1. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Another Louis wanna be........

2. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Amen..:zzz:

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    But each one was just right!

I don't want to start a big debate, but I think it was better of him to have kept it simple and melodic (which is also what the song requires) in order to make it more palatable for the audience.

And to the two above... I hope that is sarcasm.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Brek,
    I agree with you. I was making reference to another 20% recently posted.:evil:

I thought the style and rhythm used for this music fit especially well.

5. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I really respect Wynton, I have ALL his cd's and he is a GREAT trumpet player!!! But in MY opinion, in MY ears, he is not a great jazz player! Everything sounds to easy(when he plays it) and polished!! There is no soul in his playing! But as I said, he is a GREAT trumpet player! And I'm 30 now, so don't try to "heal" me..;-)

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Check out Disc 7 of the live at the Vanguard box set. If you don't feel like getting out of your chair, then I guess you are right.

I used to be a Wynton basher, but then I listened to him, and met him a few times. He really os one of the most soulful brilliant players around these days. Making something sound 'easy' is what all the greats do. Don't Louis' solos sound easy?What about Miles', or Clark Terry's?

7. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    O yeah, it sounds easy, but not in the same way! In MY ears, it sounds that Wynton is to good! Nothing is to difficult for him to play, and then it sounds a little polished! But hey, I have all his cd's and I enjoy them daily! As I say, I respect him, and he is one of the best trumpet player out there. I also have all the cd's of Dave Douglas, Miles, Chet, Terence Blanchard, Nicholas Payton, Dizzy, Lew Soloff, Arturo Sandoval, John Swana, Randy Brecker, Marcus Printup, Freddie Hubbard, Tom Harrell etc, so I don't just say this to be an a**!!! If you compare Dave Douglas and Wynton, Dave has much more soul! Listen to Brownie alĂ  Mode on Nicholas Payton's Payton's Place, Wynton plays like a machine! And as a trumpet player I love that, but as a jazz player, not so much!! But I don't bash Wynton, if you think so, read my post again..:lol:

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    That proves nothing...except that he is a hell of a player! Soulful is not equal to missed notes or scratchy tone...I don't take it as a compliment when somebody comes to me after a peformance and say something like: That must be difficult!... :shock:

9. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    My english is not the best, but you misunderstood! I dont want him to play more difficult stuff! And even though he is a hell of a player, (he is) I don't have to think he is the greatest jazz player!? I speak for my self,
    not you guys! As a trumpet player, I really enjoy Wynton and Arturo, but as a jazz player I prefer other players! That's something I have to deal with, feel sorry for me!!!

10. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    His New Orleans background really came out in that piece.I have nothing but respect and love for all his work.He gave a free concert in the city a few years ago sponsored by J&R Music world and must have played 3 hours of hard core Jazz.That was truly the best concert Ive ever attended.That"s what made a believer out of me.