Wynton Marsalis on Letterman tonight (5/13/09)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gbdeamer, May 13, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Jon,
    I know where you are coming from, but don't agree. Why? Because to me Wynton's playing represents a "new" type of jazz synthed from countless earlier eras with a BIG chunk of urban polish. I think you mean that he is not a "classical" jazz player. He sure can swing, arrange, and his choruses are inspired, they just don't fit in any previous "window". Isn't that what Jazz has been about from the beginning?

If I go into any concert with style "expectations", I may miss something important. I consider Wynton "important" for the jazz world.

Jon, you can appreciate Wynton in your own way, that is cool. Nothing to heal!

2. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    This doesn't have any answer, it's a mather of taste! If I want to listen to jazz with soul, I don't put on Wynton's cd's! If I want to listen to great playing I do! One of my all time favourite solos is Wynton's solo on Black and Tan Fantasy from JALC They Came to Swing. I listen to, and play along with his music every day! I don't want people to think that I don't like his playing, because I do...:D

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi rettepnoj,
    So what you're saying is Wynton can make a trumpet sing. Unfortunately we don't hear Wynton sing. In other words it lacks soul, right?
    Wynton is more of a conservatory approach to jazz and as such is an amazing technician. On the letterman show, Wynton had an unimpressive performance regardless of the amount of notes played.
    Some would say a great performance is one that contains massive amount of notes or constantly in the stratophere(one high note person who is popular to this site(and living) comes to mind). Of course they miss the point. High notes for the sake of high notes and a ton of notes just because the person can do them isn't music. Its mental masterbation. Music is when the musician "sings", not the instrument.
    I too use to not like Wynton for the reasons you stated. However, as Wynton matured HE started singing. The man can sing. The letterman show was not an example of Wynton singing. As anyone knows, if the muse doesn't show up to help YOU sing, you better know how to make the horn sing.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  4. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Wynton sing's, but not what my JAZZ ear want's to hear!! The performance stated abowe is a great performance, but not as jazz! It's more like a show thing! I enjoy highnotes and fast playing, but not when I want to listen to jazz..:lol:

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi rettepnoj,
    I stand corrected. If its not what your jazz ears want to hear then you are correct and I failed to understand your post. However, I still stand by my claim that the letterman performance was an unremarkable performance.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    If you don't mind me asking, what are some of the artists you lean towards that you call jazz.
    For me? Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane, MF, Maria Schneider, Legrand, Phil Woods, Clark Terry, Carl Saunders, Bobby Shew, Doc, Lester Young, John Mclaughlin, Toots, Ron McRoby come to mind at the present moment. Of course if you ask me tonight, I'll probably have a different line up. There's just so many good ones out there.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  7. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Good jazz for me are; Dave Douglas, Payton, Hargrove, Miles, Chet, Dizzy, Bird, Rollins, Paquito, Ron Stout etc...and many many more..:-)

8. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    O yeah, I loved that performance, as I love all of his performances...He is the best..no doubt! Have you seen the Congo Square DVD?:thumbsup:

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    It appears we have similar tastes in what we call jazz musicians. However, in one of the sentances you stated that "the performance was great but not as jazz, its more of a show thing".
    I think you may want to reexamine the literary definition of jazz.
    Jazz has certain parameters that make it such and range from free jazz to Kenny G.
    Wynton performed the letterman show in a jazz idiom. You don't have to like the performance or Wynton, but never the less by definition it was jazz.

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Wynton's music is some of the churchiest, soulful music you can get these days.
    Local Announcements on disc 7 of live at the vanguard. If that doesn't make you say Amen...