Wynton Marsalis on Letterman tonight (5/13/09)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gbdeamer, May 13, 2009.

1. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
  2. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I didn't ment to say that Wyntons performance was a show thing, but high and fast performances!! Arturo with Irakere is not jazz, but a real show thing! I love that, but not if I want to listen to real jazz! And I'm not trying to make you feel the same way, it's just my opinion! I liked his performance on Letterman! Don't say that I dont like Wynton, cause I do!! He is one of my all time favourite trumpet players! Top 5; 1-Arturo Sandoval, 2-Wynton Marsalis, 3-Lew Soloff, 4-Nicholas Payton and 5-
    Dave Douglas:play:

And Brek, I like the whole Live at The Village Vanguard set, espescially And The Band Played On...:lol:

3. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Kenny G.????
    :noway:

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Rettepnoj,
    If you say Artruo with Irakere isn't jazz then what factors make it not jazz? If possible, opinions aside, structurally what makes this not jazz?
    Heck I'll even make it easier for you. What major factors separate Dave Douglas (who you classify as a jazz performer) and Arturo with Irakere? Remember, you've already stated what you think and that's cool.
    What I'm asking for is support for your claim. If there is no support then just say "I can't support my claim, it's just how I feel about it". That's OK too. I'm always willing to learn a new perspective but to get me to believe it, it needs to be backed up with more than a feeling or opinion.

5. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Hi Markie,
    I can't support my claim, it's just how I feel about it. And thats what I have tried to say all the time..:-) If I want to sit down, listen to some jazz, I don't put on Irakere! But I LOVE Irakere!!!(I've just bought Irakere Live In Sweden, and GOD D**N, best Irakere record ever..:-)) I just enjoy music in different settings!

And to make it clear, I DON'T BASH WYNTON!! I listen to him, and enjoy his music EVERY day!!

But today, it's marching band jazz, happy birthday NORWAY.....:-)

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    If you can not support your claim on this topic then we can go no further.

7. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway

Thank you....:lol: