wynton marsalis vs. all other trumpet players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Monette84, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Music of an era can become forgotten, while music of another remembered. When it is rewritten, from a time forgotten, who, is who? And what does it matter, after all, when names can also become eventually forgotten. What is current today is who is preserving it today.

I never cared for the music my parents listened to; but ironically, my kids download, and borrow the music I grew up with.

My ten year old today, was whistling "Jump" by Van Halen; I pretended not to notice, I wouldn't want to ruin it! I'd rather they have their own identity to it. Never-mind, "it was a song dad listened to".

I haven't noticed any of my children listening to Perry Como, just yet.

But the research matters just as how far does one on this sight care to per sue music, compared to the next trumpet master poster. As far as I understand it, some of us want to become physics engineers.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Just like picking a "greatest" physicist would discredit all those that provided the foundation for their success, a greatest trumpet player would also be a discredit to all of those that made Wyntons career possible. Limiting our choices to one only proves how NARROW our scope is. We need to help these poor people broaden their view of beauty.

3. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009
    Absolutely; pending how far into the scope they wish to go, it is a much more pleasant surprise to find where it originally came from, years later, when a novice is no longer a novice, and to those that fell by the wayside, what does it matter to them? ; they're onto something else, and the trumpet, it is in the closet.

4. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009
    As for me, music is a tremendous vise. I love it, sometimes I hate it. Sometimes I'll play (recorded) music 18 hours a day, some weekends, not at all. Sometimes music can just become too sound processed. Verse, chorus, verse, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, chorus,etc. I don't care to admit, sometimes I hate, and I do think guitar is so far overrated and over used in music.

But, where am I going?....... All types of music, if you want to be serious with your trumpet, if you want to become "you"' , what needs to be studied, is all types of music, including music with no trumpet at all.

You must grab hold of everything you like without bias, then learn to interpret, even a favorite female vocalist, and project her through your trumpet,..... or grab hold of that rock riff raff you like and make it happen on a trumpet.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Hah!--Richard P. Feynman! Trumpet is a bit tougher, though....

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I don't know about Wynton Marsalis being compared to all other players - compared to me, well?

My musical fare has a variety of ingredients - I listen to lots of different players, in lots of different genres - I like something from all of them, but not everything from any of them. If I like the piece, does that make it the best piece, or the best interpretation, or the best improvisation - I don't think so - it just is the best in the moment, for me - and it may be any one of us playing. Wynton and the other really blessed musicians among us just have more stuff that I really like, but all the rest of you have a place in my musical enjoyment, my musical salad, if you will. :shock:

7. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    There is no "best" in the arts. In addition any idea of one artist "vs." another artist is missing the whole point of what art is, imho

8. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Take King Oliver for instance : he was not able to play 1/100 of what Wynton can. But no Oliver a century ago and no Wynton nowadays, at least not the same Wynton we all love and respect !
    Ask the initial question of this thread to M. Marsalis himself : I guess you'd get an answer full of sense.

9. equivariant

equivariant New Friend

May 25, 2009
    I agree with those who point out the futility of these "greatest xxxx of all time". On the topic of Wynton, I have recently purchased John McNeil's "Art of Jazz Trumpet" and in his historical section he expresses some very strong and somewhat negative views of Wynton's place in the pantheon of jazz trumpeters. I am curious, what do the more experienced memebers of this forum think about this? What do you think about this book as a learning resource?

Jim

10. dponath

dponath New Friend

May 2, 2009
    DOTCOTE
    Picking a "Greatest", can't do it. I can't honestly say who may be the "greatest". I do have favorites, for different styles and genres. But I would never pick one as better than another, because I find them all "Great" in some aspect!