wynton marsalis vs. all other trumpet players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Monette84, Jul 12, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    SP,
    you make an excellent point.

It is very easy after many years of being here and the countless repeats of this type of post to really hope that the new poster will make at least a minimal effort to look up Marsalis here at TM before posting something like this. In this case, just like the hundreds before, we can "read" alot into the original claim. Perhaps the poster has a collection of thousands of trumpet tracks and could back up the claim. Perhaps they only have a Marsalis CD or 2. We really can't know. Whether or not it is fair to comment at all is a moot point. When we type "marsalis" into the search feature here at TM, we get 341 threads, most of which are clearly labeled and offering tons of info on the master and his competition.

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/best-trumpet-player-world-42525.html

In any case, there are mixed feelings about spoon feeding generalities and that is why I counter such posts with an education mandate.

If more than minimum effort would be required to check the scene out, I would agree with some of the critics here. To the generation willing to google just about everything, I don't think it is unreasonable to mention that option here.

The only meaningful "best of" argument as far as I am concerned is about the best wife and kids. There I win hands down - and I hope all of you married ones out there can say the same about you and yours!

2. TheSlur

TheSlur New Friend

Feb 22, 2009
    Favorite is the word I think we are looking for in this thread.

3. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think calling my wife "my favorite" could lead to major misunderstanding........

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    There is no way your wife can be better than your best friend's :evil: how about Jennifer Aniston? ROFL

5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Jennifer is not my type. I am more into beautiful without make up. You know, kind of like an unlaquered trumpet....................

6. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009

Hey! You keep my wife outta this!!!!

7. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009

.... beautiful Bachstul's wife is! ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    So much of what makes a great trumpet player is our preference of a particular style. Wynton is such a great, smart player and musician. He is a great improviser, too, and very well-rounded. Unfortunately, some of the guys who are the most versatile (like Doc for example), often get overlooked because they don't have one distinctive style.

Miles and Maynard for example: two opposite styles, but stylists none-the-less. They are legends.

Obviously Wynton is a legendery player too, but will he be known as a stylist that groomed other players and styles?

10. samsplace

samsplace New Friend

Jul 9, 2009
    Point well made, however, sometimes you don't know what you don't know therefore rendering the search feature useless. I came to this forum to learn and my impression so far has been to be extremely careful what you post because if you ask/say anything deemed unacceptable, you will be tarred and feathered.

I completely agree that effort should be made to use the search feature and this I have done. However, when doing my best to learn all that I can, I find it not encouraging to read many threads that insult the OP for asking a "dumb question."

Is there a place for beginners on this forum where it would be more acceptable to seek help or opinions on topics that may have been discussed in the past? Or is there another musicians forum where such an atmosphere exists?