wynton marsalis vs. all other trumpet players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Monette84, Jul 12, 2009.

1. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Sams,

I don't know why message boards tend to cause some people to react with such hostility at times, but it seems to be true of all message boards. Don't take it personally.
    Opinions on musician's, especially strong ones tend to illicit insults from people. You're not allowed to make music any kind of debate whatsoever as you are insulting the 'art form'.. it's a snobbish attitude in my opinion, but I live with it. We all have our faults and the people here are generally good people. I really appreciate the information here. This is a great website. One of the best boards I've ever joined. Kudos to the owner and operators.

2. samsplace

samsplace New Friend

Jul 9, 2009
    I don't mean to sound unappreciative as I have very much appreciated the help I have received on the two threads I have posted. I am not taking it personally since I don't think any hostility has been directed at me. I just wanted to make the point to those that have seen the these type threads come and go, maybe it would be better to just ignore it if you have already commented on such a topic several times.

The content on this particular thread is not something I would have even known the keyword to search and I found it to be a helpful thread. I truly appreciate a good debate, and enjoy the thought provoking dissents, however much of what I have read in the dissenting category on this forum goes well beyond a difference of opinion and implies ignorance.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Samsplace,
    just about anywhere is good for a beginner that doesn't try to be something that they are not. The "tar and feather" part is for the poster that tries to brag about capabilities not possible. It is kind of like a real lesson with a real person. Two notes and all of the "smoke" has vanished. If a student wanted lessons from me and started bragging about a double G, I would hand them my horn on the spot and say show me. When my students discover mouthpieces, I go through the technology with them. They learn first hand that hardware does not solve software problems. I am watching them and making sure that they can deliver what they promise.

One of the most important lessons in life is that each of us is valuable for what we are, not what we think others would like us to be.

There is also a BIG difference between a poster that states "Wynton Marsalis is my hero, who is yours?" or "Wynton Marsalis vs all other trumpet players".

There are many members here that would prefer a more "liberal" approach to answering borderline questions. My view is that this is the internet and TM is an open forum. A conservative view is equal in importance to the liberal view. Many times the conservative view is trashed as being too "tough" or impolite. I have yet to have a student that has had a problem with the raw truth. After the first couple of lessons, they realize that progress is fastest when we are really honest about our strengths and weaknesses. They hide nothing, ask everything and get honest answers and 100% support. They learn that if they start a particular exercize at a fast tempo, that I demand that they keep that tempo. The first couple of measures are a promise that they need to keep for the rest. If they practice, they know what they are capable of and that is what I want to hear.

I am not aware of a musicians forum that is designed specifically for "beginners". I am aware of many where serious flame wars and banning of contrary opinions are commonplace.

My suggestion is just to ask. You wanted a list of trumpet music, asked, and got it.

Trumpetmaster is divided up into several sections to highlight different topics. There are separate moderators for each section. I moderate the general trumpet forum. If someone honestly asks for help, they get it. If they blog BS, they get something else. The world only has a fixed amount of room for real double Cs......................

4. samsplace

samsplace New Friend

Jul 9, 2009
    Rowuk,

Truly, I can tell that you and the regular posters at TM are very intelligent and helpful, however, my very first introduction to TM was the amateur thread and it did not create a favorable impression. Obviously, as I read on, I got past it enough to post myself.

I hope that you did see my thank you for the list of music that you provided, but in honesty your initial response to me was pretty much to tell me that I was over the top. Granted you could not infer what my motives were, just as I could not when you told the teenage boy that he made you sick.

As I have spent time reading here, I have realized that there is much difference between a predominately male dominated forum vs. one with mostly females. I will do my best to put aside my emotion in order to keep learning for the sake of my son.

5. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009

If you read what I posted in the amatures/amatures thread then you won't any longer be disappointed, or upset. Bring yourself into the forum as a qualified fellow with your mouthguard and your boxing gloves.

And yes, we're also glad to help, You, Personally; but what you must learn to realize is your question represents 500 people who may read and want to know the answer.

Many times A thought is provoked by you into an answer that is directed to a few hundred people... it may go harsh....sigh......

Just because you laid the egg, doesn't mean we cooked YOUR goose!!!!

oh, never mind the female/ male stuff.... that is why some mask their identity, boy, girl, black white red yellow, man woman..... we are all POSTERS on TM.

Let's face something that we all have to admit. Chances are, 95% of us are at home when we post; maybe less, but, we're in our castle, behind closed doors, away from our professional environment, where we have behaved all day.

Here online, we can let it out a little. We can let go on a paragraph.

We are debating with a paragraph that represents 500 people; I hope this helps you sensitive folks out there. I've been there. I was new here. Early on, I've posted the same "touchy feely" responses. Then I learned what to expect. It is more fun to come into the forum with your armor on, than to say oh look at me, everyone is so mean everybody feel sorry for me.

People here rather one does not be a victim, voluntarily.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  6. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009
    I wonder if the real culprit here, today, is the modern recording studio, techniques, and the digital editing and sound enhancing equipment; add on top of that the demand for perfection from the consumer, who is accustomed to todays modern recordings.

Face it, Sun records,1950's, in Memphis, would never stand a chance against them......but the music recordings then sounded so.....y'know,,,real, not "processed". Even the recordings of the sixties and seventies, real, y'know?

7. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    yes it's really difficult to compare qualities of different players from different decades for those reasons...I guess that's what gives each time frame it's own flavor. When it comes to music, it's nice to be able to choose more than one flavor... ;)

One of the things that is really great about Wynton is his ability to play so many styles so well. That really does help put him up at the forefront of trumpet players IMO.

Bachstul likes this.
  8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nope,
    the culprit is NOT the studio. The culprit is the excess that we have available to us and the decadence that it brings with it. Wynton, unlike the "pop" bands has not brought out CD after CD of mediocre. Rather individual projects mostly with very differing themes.

Just like Miles, Al Hirt or Maurice André, Wynton has his following and the anonymosity of an internet board gives an opportunity to post everything from praise to the ridiculous. Much of which is posted here would NEVER have been claimed person to person or at a group lesson.

That is also my goal: to make the experience more like person to person. That of course will be the fly in the ointment on the borderline stuff, but perhaps cause some posters to think before banging something the completely unthought out.

Samsplace is right, testosterone does change the overall look and feel of a website, but then again the name of the site is TRUMPETMASTER not trumpetmistress :-P. Her question about a safe haven for beginners was actually a consideration a while back that after a bit of discussion was not implemented as the educational, entertainment content would be practically zero. Qualified posters would not respond to 5000 identical requests about range, fixing playing with mouthpiece, the names of the notes and the best player, horn, mouthpiece................

Maybe we do need a better possibility for documenting educational resources. The moderators do make important threads sticky, and in the trumpet forum, I do have quite bit at the top of this general trumpet forum available for instance - especially about high notes and their names. This obviously does not help much or we have a literacy problem though.

My experience is that most beginners expect to sign up here and jump into the deep end of the pool, babbling about all sorts of stuff where they have NO IDEA. Instead of a humble question, we get a "super hero blogger" that deflates after the first or second question.

Samsplace, you are right, we do need more female influence. The hand full of achievers that post like Flugelgirl, Annie or Silverstar are very limited on the web though. Any trumpet playing webmoms out there?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  9. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009
    Nobody wants to call me on this B.E.? (Bovine Ex....)

It's amazing to learn far back as Charlie Chaplin writing "Smile"
    Lyrics were added to the music in 1954 by John Turner and Geoffrey Parsons,( who ever the heck these two guys are !!!)

Chasing after this all would be like grabbing hold of your family tree. The genealogy of jazz.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009