Wynton on a New Horn?!?!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hubnub, Apr 3, 2009.

1. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    The White House thought it resembled a weapon of mass destruction and wouldn't let the monette near the podium......Oh that's right. George Double U has been flicked. My mistake.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    OK, let us say I am a poster-child for Porsche, and I (a) wreck it, or (b) send it to the shop for the yearly once-over. Are they going to send me a {IN FAIRNESS TO ALL THE FINE AUTO-MAKERS: NAME YOUR OWN BRAND] another brand, or another Porsche?

Curious!

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I used to detail cars, and we had a customer who drove a Bentley. When his was in the shop, the dealership would give him the newest, top of the line model for a week in hopes he would buy it!

4. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    I read somewhere that Wynton once dented the bell of his Monette by pushing a mute in too hard....apparently some Monettes have very thin walled bells.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Maybe to clear up something here: you send the Monette back to Monette for work because Dave does unconventional things when he builds the horn and if it does not get returned to its original spec, it simply does not react the way that we expect.

The Monette bells are not thin, they are SOFT, Any instrument maker has the option of annealing or tempering the metal that the horn is made of. This leads to a different response. It is easier to damage a Monette bell in this respect. If it happened, again, Monette needs to fix it because only he has the mandrels with that exact shape.

The Monette customer accepts the horn the way Dave builds them. These are not players that think that they know more than the specialized artisan. I have often posted that we all need to build RELATIONSHIPS with technicians and artisans. They deal with the necessities daily and are in a much better position to point us in a favorable sonic direction due to their experience than we are.

I always smile when this second guessing turns into posts here. The modern player seems to be much more influenced by marketing, voodoo and conjecture than previous generations. That may have something to do with disposable income...............................

6. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Does Dave send loaners?

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I do know of some cases where he has flown with a prototype to "save the day"! He will make an appointment and fix it while you wait too. I have been to the shop twice for minor maintenance and pitch center adjustment.

8. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Schilke used to loan out new Schilke demo horns to pros getting repairs in the shop. Problem was, sometimes they never came back. I remembered that when I had my own shop. We had a couple of "dogs" for loaners. They always (almost) came back for their repairs.