Wynton Performing the Hayden

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, Oct 18, 2006.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
  2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Thank you! I (BRAG) Get to see him this month! YEA!!!

3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    the "man" has it both - talent and is gifted. when he was younger and just making his mark he made some comments that people jumped on. he is a true artist and I believe that a lot of people are just plain jealous. It is much easier to knock a man down than to build yourself up. Dave

4. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn New Friend

Jan 20, 2004
    Isle of Arran, Scotland
    It should be noted that at least going by the pitch of the performance on the video, it's being (a) played in E not Eb (as alluded to in the youtube comments) and (b) looking at his fingering, WM is playing an E trumpet. Awesome performance. Anyone know when this took place?

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    PLEASE!!!!

Let me become this stiff!

-cw-

7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    That was said through clenched teeth. I think Wynton is a great creative player. If you think his playing is stiff, well..........? And as far as a tiff with Miles, darn near everyone has had their moments with him. Even me.
    Wilmer

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    criticism of Wyntons' playing can only be made by people that fall into the following category:
    "I can hear the grass grow! What, you don't hear it? I guess I must hear better than you."
    Wynton IS one of the very best ever. He has done so much for trumpet players, jazz and educating young people to get their level of appreciation and enjoyment up than anyone else that I can think of. At the same time keeping his chops up to be able to play just about anything very well AND still find time to compose. I can't say anything about his personal life, but if there was any dirt, those critics with superior hearing would have published it for sure.
    Granted, I would play the Haydn much differently - because I have no choice - I don't have his chops, ears, technique or brain! I'll bet I have just as much fun with it though!
    I'll get a chance to find out next weekend, I am playing it at a Unicef charity fund concert for the support of poor children. His Haydn CD - among others, has already been in my CD player several times (of course, trying to find things that I can do better................unfortunately all that I can find is inspiration!)

9. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit

Yeah no kidding.....!

I'd line up for that in a heart beat!