Wynton raps?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jimi Michiel, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Hey Manny,

I just saw Wynton on the Daily Show with John Stewart and they were talking about Wynton rapping on his new CD. Have you heard the new disc? I think it's called "From the Plantation to the Penitentiary." I think I'm going to go see if I can get a copy.

-Jimi

2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just bought my copy on ITunes. I can't wait to check it out on my drive up to Maine today.
    -T

3. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    Check track 7 on iTunes for Wynton's rap...

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Oh no, now the bashers can trash Wyntons rap qualities......................

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I have been checking out the new CD intermittently and not quite sure what I think yet. I like the music of the first chart, Plantation to the Penitentiary, but I really don't like the tambre of the female singer AT ALL. I understand that Wynton might have wanted the sparce contrast of this singer to the richness of the musicians, but she really bothers my ears. Still digesting.........

6. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I actually like it! "Where Y'all At?" :whistle: Catchy tune! (and of course, very political lyrics)

7. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Will have to find a way to give it a listen.

Richard

8. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Overall this CD is good music and Wynton's playing sounds nice. I am not sold on the singer though. It just seems like a mismatch to me. :-(

I do enjoy the tunes. Good writing and good playing all the way around.

9. WildCat

WildCat New Friend

Nov 23, 2006
    Eh, I still haven't figured out Mark Gould's CD yet. :dontknow:

10. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Just got the CD.

Alex-I completely agree. The singer is the worst part of the album; her voice doesn't really go anywhere, there's not much in the way of phrasing. Wynton's always had good singers, it's too bad he couldn't have gotten the one from All Rise (I can't remember her name, but I saw her live and she was amazing).

Wynton's rap wasn't exactly what I expected it to be (especially after the John Stewart interview), but I really liked it. It's more shouting than rapping, but it definately works. Now I've just got to sit down and think about what he's saying, and what Stanley Crouch is saying in the liner notes...

-Jimi