Wynton & Sergei

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kujo20, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I was listening to this song (from Wynton's CD) in the car today. It got stuck in my head...and then I remembered this particular video. I thought it could turn into a good discussion here.

Wynton Marsalis vs Sergei Nakariakov (Moto Perpetuo) - YouTube

So....DISCUSS!

I know it's impossible to do a "versus" scenario with these two master trumpeters because they are so different....but maybe we could talk about how they both decided to interpret this piece of music. What do you all think about each interpretation? What do you like/dislike? Which would you rather listen to?

I'll start...

I think overall, I like Wynton's way of playing it better. To me it sounds much smoother (duh) and more pleasing to the ear. However....I feel as if the way Sergei does it would be MUCH more difficult. The way he emphasizes each and every note at that tempo is beyond incredible! I'd rather listen to Wynton's...but I find both to be TOP NOTCH!

Well, let's see where this goes!
    Kujo

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    None of them equals Raphael Mendez on this piece. His articulation is next to miraculous.

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
  4. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Alright, it looks like Rafael has joined the discussion. Thanks for the mention Phil and for the video Mr. Wise!

Kujo

5. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Ah, I love when I can agree that Wynton is amazing. (not jazz) Of course Mr. Mendez was crazy..... I love the story, he tells his wife, coffee in hand sporting morning pajamas "I'm going to the studio to work on a few things" At dinner time his wife is out trying to get him, still in PJs, to come in the house and eat..... I think he was a very serious man/trumpet player.

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Today is Paganini's birthday. I would have loved to hear him play it..............on trumpetROFL

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.