Wynton

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smithi20, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Smithi20

Smithi20 Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2007
    London
    So here I am, shoot me down if you want but I´d appreciate more reflection from you gals and guys.... this thread came about because of a comment I made regarding the development of new music,especially in America, and if Wyton had embraced that it would be far more developed, with exciting new developments for trumpeters today.

I met Wynton in ´82... he was extremely encouraging, and still is, from what I hear. Great. But I stopped listening after Black Codes and almost puked when I caught him on TV at the Proms in London telling "us" about Buddy Bolden playing across the river.... and then playing, what? It was like cabaret.

The most exciting record for me was the one with Cecil McBee and Chico Freeman, Destiny´s Dance. And I thought, things are moving forward! And after Black Codes, things moved backwards...... in the hands of one of the most technically adept and thrilling trumpeters I´d ever heard.....

2. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Zing!..... here we go.....

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  3. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    sticks and stones.

4. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    A couple of days ago I downloaded the Live at the Village vanguarde multi cd set. I've been listening to it over the last few days. About half way through.

Some of the most exciting, tight, innovative jazz I've heard in a long time. Brilliant arrangements of classics, great original tunes. A band that can play from New Orleans on through.

I don't get the Wynton bashing. Don't understand it.

What he has accomplished to maintain the jazz tradition: every jazz musician should thank him every day. Your upset because he doesn't go beyond 1964-5? So what.

My 2 cents.

5. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    People who bash Wynton are guys who like to bash Botti...

"They could have done more with the music"

"They sold out"

"They can't REALLY play".

First and foremost I find it personally very, VERY sad that fellow trumpeters openly critique other players this way, especially players of their stature. These people are the torch carriers to inspire others. I guess winning 15 or so Grammy awards, a Pulitzer, founding JALC, Essentially Ellington, etc just isn't enough to warrant a decent amount of respect, huh?

Louis Armstrong didn't change his style much after his monumental accomplishments of the mid-to-late 20s. I guess we should bash him, right?

"Oh Pops' sound was much too bright... he didn't play enough b11's on Minor chords.... he smiled too much... he inspired too many people."

Can't we love these guys for all the right reasons? Wynton sure inspired me a TON when I was young and quite honestly still does a great deal. The way he presents himself, talks, speaks intelligently about life and music, the way he leads by example are just a SMALL amount of the incredible respect I have for him and his music.

1. They make our instrument visable, prominent in society. "Hey look, playing the trumpet is cool". I know I grew up listening to Wynton, Al Hirt, Herb Alpert, and Maynard. I don't think I personally sound like those guys now but they gave me the inspiration I still have today.

2. They make it possible for guys like ME to make a living. So, yeah... I don't have a million dollar pad or fancy cars... I don't care. I get paid to do what I LOVE to do, and that has a lot to do with #1 above. I also didn't shed as much as Wynton did when he was younger. He worked way harder than I did, that's one of the BIG reasons why he's where he is today.

3. The people that get "bashed" have the utmost respect, decency, kindness, generosity, and are humble-gracious humans. They wouldn't bash others for no apparent reason.

I'm all fed up with bashers so I'm just gonna go shed. Bash my playing anytime... ;) To me that's a badge of honor I'd wear with great pride.

-T

tatakata, dmh737 and administrator like this.
  6. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    Trent, well said man. I definitely have had my fair share of bashing, but I have come to learn that everyone has there different taste in music. I go to one of the craziest schools know to man, that puts out some crazy music (California Institute of the Arts), and have heard some of the most out there stuff. I appreciate it because I see that people create what is most important to them. Even if to me it sounds "cheesy." The fact of the matter is that if these guys like Botti, who can play amazingly, become famous for having a different taste in music, I take my hat off to them. Look at all of the people who have failed and failed and failed miserably. They must have done something right to become well known. There is so much music out there and there are billions of people too. There has to be enough stuff to please everyone. One mans crap is another mans treasure.

7. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Maybe, since you love it so much, you should buy it? I'm not saying I never downloaded anything before but the stuff one truly loves and respects should be bought and paid for. Support them. You would want support if you had a cd out.

(didn't mean to sound like a buzz kill - just my opinion) I'm not judging anyone.
    Cheers
    E.

8. bachstrad72

bachstrad72 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2007
    Philly
    He might have purchased it legally on itunes... not to sound like a buzz kill. ;-)

9. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    the wynton bashing is old. he is the best trumpet player in the world. deal with it.

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I used to be a Wynton basher, then I met him and I checked out more of his stuff. Man is he fantastic. One of my favorite players who still plays.
    His newest album Congo Square is fantastic, the album before that: live at the house of tribes is some of the most incredible bebop and jazz recorded in the last 20 years.
    He has put trumpet back on the map. If you ask someone to name a trumpet player they will probably say Neil Armstrong and winston marsandwich. Too me, that is close enough. He has made himself a household name not only as a performer, but as an educator as well.

My hat goes off to him.