Wynton

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smithi20, Jan 8, 2008.

1. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    [​IMG]

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Why should we demand Wynton fork out some of his well earned money for "music by hire?" Did we expect this from Andre, Miles, Doc? How many of us have commisioned works?

Wynton has already done so much for the trumpet, and we have benefited most of all--should we jump ship because we don't like the way he is rowing?

3. uapiper

uapiper Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Hamilton, Canada
    Walter[​IMG], I have read a million interviews with Wynton and watched another million. He comes off as arrogant because he articulates himself so well, his mannerism, his opinions. he has shot down others himself in the past.

If you want proof of this you can search it out, if you need to.

I think he is a fantastic resource for the trumpeting world, as a mentor and a mainstay. arrogance simply comes after much success, doesn't it?

4. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005
    I have seen him with the LCJO twice, enjoyed it and felt that it was money well spent. He leads a band filled with all stars. This is a pretty tall order from a financial perspective. I don't know how he does it. He also does a lot to promote jazz education.

Jazz at Lincoln Center: Education

5. Smithi20

Smithi20 Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2007
    London
    Come in! The water´s lovely! Sorry, time to get my beauty sleep, but thanks for the vision of Wynton rowing a ship (on his own?) populated by thousands of trumpeters! I´m imagining Tain beating out the rhythm for his oars!

6. wvtrumpet

wvtrumpet Pianissimo User

May 14, 2004
    West Virginia
    I am going to post one time and one time only in regards to this thread. Wynton Marsalis is the greatest trumpeter alive today!!!! BAR NONE!!!! No one can do what he does, nor can they match what he has done for jazz, jazz education, or for inspiring players who want to be musicians! I am 38 years old, and I still consider him my hero!!!!! I pose this question to anyone that calls him out:

Can you cut him? If so post your clip let's hear what you can do.

tatakata likes this.
  7. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH

AMEN!!! Can I get an "AMEN"?:lol: ... or a mpc with a double C built in.....

bachstrad72 likes this.
  8. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    amen

9. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    have a nice day jimi :-)

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This attitude is not helpful.

One does not need to be a performing equal to hear something that they like or dislike. Many can do very much of what he does and can match accomplishments. That is also not the point here.

It is great that you think so highly of Wynton, I do too. He does bleed red like the rest of us though!