Wynton

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smithi20, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Warren

Warren Pianissimo User

Nov 19, 2007
    South Africa
    Aren't we just a lovely bunch of happy people...Like him or not, Wynton has done a lot for jazz and for music as a whole. Even some of his workshops on youtube have benefitted me. Is he a criminal for letting some of it going to his head? I think if any of us were as good as he was we'd get at least a little bit arrogant.

How many of us would do workshops in front of "a bunch of kids"? Not many.

So...regardless of his personality (which I do not know much about), he has done a lot for music. Him and Miles just saw things differently.

2. Walter

Walter Piano User

Sep 11, 2006
    Not quite sure what you are getting at...I didn't comment on arrogance....?
    If Wynton and Miles fell out...so be it....only they really know what was behind it all.....two sides to every story.

Being articulate = arrogance.....;-) at the end of the day all interviewers are looking for an angle....if that angle is to portray Wynton as humble...then I am sure they could do it but of course no one wants to read or hear that....they want to ask about his "anger". As I said before..I have seen Wynton live three times in the last couple of years and his actions were that of a man who had time for ordinary people. His playing was not flaymboyant...look at me I am the highest, loudest, fastest.... Did his music communicate? Yes....and I have to admit it...he is articulate.

He is a man who is confident and at the top of the tree. He probably finds it hard to suffer fools....Did you hear the story about the guy who asks Wynton for some advise? Guy says "Wynton..I want to make records and be a trumpet star like you". Wynton says...."well why don't you go and learn to play five or six albums in the style you want to play" Guy says.... "Naw... I don't want to do that.....I just want to be famous"!!
    I will resist searching through a million interviews looking for arrogance.... I have enough arrogance of my own to worry about.......after all I am a trumpet player:D

Walter

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  3. uapiper

uapiper Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Hamilton, Canada
    Walter, you asked me how I determined Wynton's arrogance. I gave my reason, simple as that. I have never met him nor seen him play, I don't cruise the internet to find ways to bring people down.[​IMG]

The interviews I have seen he just comes off a little high on himself. So what, that could be time constraints causing him to act that way, I don't know. I stated an opinion, and stand corrected.[​IMG] I now realize that the great Wynton Marsalis is a humble, true humanitarian that stands for no other reason than to benefit the trumpet world with great music and to educate those who wish.

As far as Wynton being the greatest trumpeter to ever walk the expanse of earth. Codswallop, he is no better than Chet Baker, Clifford Brown or even Dizzy himself. He is just different, [​IMG]that is due to the era. Over time naturally music is going to shift and change. He is a representative of that changing time, that's all.

4. Walter

Walter Piano User

Sep 11, 2006
    These reasons alone invalidate any level of criticism on a very raw basis. Now having said that, the only thing I see with Wynton is that he seems to have gotten very arrogant.

Every record he puts out backs that up...

Mike[/quote]

Hi Uapiper

My question was about the above statement....I was curious whether it was his style of playing or his choice of music......I think we have got at cross purposes:shock: apologies.

My top of the tree is not a Christmas tree.....more a mighty oak with room for Clifford, Dizzy,Chet, Lee Morgan and even Brian Lynch:cool:

I don't know if Wynton is humble or not...I just saw him spend a lot of time with people after a gig at Ronnie Scott's and I was impressed..perhaps it was all just good PR;-)

Walter

Walter

5. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    "As far as Wynton being the greatest trumpeter to ever walk the expanse of earth. Codswallop, he is no better than Chet Baker, Clifford Brown or even Dizzy himself. He is just different, that is due to the era. Over time naturally music is going to shift and change. He is a representative of that changing time, that's all.'

Well, I guess we would have to determine what we mean by better?

Listening to the 7 disc set Live at the Vanguard over the last few days, I was struck by how really amazing his accomplishment is. He has distilled the various movements of jazz into a coherent whole, showcasing (in my opinion) the whole history of jazz into a polished, entertaining, tight, organzied, brilliantly performed art form. Few musicians, even the great ones, come near the discipline he has to pull this off.

On top of that, he has put together an administration and organization via Lincoln center that insures jazz lives on with the respect it deserves. Anyone who has worked within a non-profit world knows how difficult this is to pull off. To make the advances he has artistically as well as educationally and institutionally is unique in the history of jazz. That certainly places him in a spot by himself.

Christ, you're worried about what you perceive as his arrogance? (But you've never seen him play, never met him - what arrogance is that!).

There are people that are talented. There are people who build something meaningful for posterity. Wynton has done both. Artist, Educator, Administrator. All done with integrity, discipline, and perfection.

And then there are others, having accomplished nothing in their own lives feel it is their right and privilege to dismiss those that have. Idiots are born every minute. Artists of Wynton's stature come once a lifetime if we are lucky.

TrentAustin likes this.
  6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    No Kidding
    If you listen to that and you still don't like Wynton, then all hope is lost. That cd set is some of the most brilliant playing and writing on record.

7. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Exceedingly well said Bill McClosky

8. hammer56

hammer56 New Friend

Nov 7, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Trent, it sounds like you grew up when I did. Herb Alpert had a variety show on tv. Al Hirt and Louis were all over pop radio. Chet Atkins and a lot of other great musicians were accessible to the masses, too.
    It's not bad that Wynton wants to share the history of America's art form.
    Also, it's good that we study the greats while we develop our chops.
    My problem is that right now somebody is going through the motions on a tune from the Kind of Blue album (1959). That will most likely be followed by a lackluster performance of Autumn Leaves. How do we expect anyone to leave the comforting glow of their plasma tvs to go see us do that? The "Real Book" may be doing us more harm than good. Can't we write our own damn songs?

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually this is the wrong forum for this thread. Wynton is not a trumpet player, he is a jazz musician that simply uses the trumpet as a conduit. I have found no interviews where he talks about leadpipes, bore size, O-rings or even his mouthpiece size.

He does talk about timing, sound and practice though - I guess the missing geekiness makes him a target for those with inferiority complexes. Maybe they need to start looking at things musical before closing the mind?

10. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    Rowuk you are the man. You always know how to brake things down