Wynton

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smithi20, Jan 8, 2008.

1. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Well, no one can possibly argue with the playing ability in both classical and jazz genres. He's also done wonders with youth promotion of music. It just depends on the listener.

2. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Can we just say that he is a fantastic trumpet player? Is that not enough?

To those out there who feel they need to criticize...can you do any better?

To me he is a fantastic player and that's that! People (like him) are more times than not very nice people.

3. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA

Can we just say that he is a fantastic trumpet player? Is that not enough?

To those out there who feel they need to criticize...can you do any better?

To me he is a fantastic player and that's that! People (like him) are more times than not very nice people.
    -eisprl

Couldn't have said it better myself.

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Wynton is one of the funniest guys on the planet.
    Wynton

5. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    good question ;-)

6. tomcat

tomcat Pianissimo User

Dec 19, 2007
    We'll for what it's worth, I think wynton is an incredible player! Now, I admit he is not one of my favorites, but I listened to him play things like rustiques (forgive the spelling), and it was flawless. I have never seen him live or met the guy but as far as his trumpet playing goes, you can't argue the point that he is not good. That argument does not work. I have great respect for Wynton. Goodbye.

7. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    For me Wynton is the best trumpeter around. There was and probably will never be another player who could playboth classic and jazz trumpet at this level. Next to that he's a great composer and a ambassader of jazz.

Seeing him live once didn't do any justice to what he's capable of. I saw him at the Northsea JF with Elvin Jones and thought he played only crap that day. He only tried to play high notes the whole set. The only time I saw Hubbard live he also played crap and stopped playing after to pieces... I guess I both saw them on the wrong moment but they still are 2 of my favorite players.

As with most players I think they played the best at a younger age. The same goes for Wynton. I liked his music and sound better around his Black Codes album. The stuff with Hancock is also unbelievable. But he still amazes me. Just listen to recent YouTube vids of Just Friends and the LCJO. Nobody can play trumpet like that.

8. hammer56

hammer56 New Friend

Nov 7, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks, Everybody for helping me refine my communication. If you heard me write anything bad about Wynton, himself, that's not what I meant to write. The time-capsule nature of the venue is mostly what bothers me. Would I turn that gig down? NO! And many of those guys with him at Lincoln ctr. were with Duke during his decades of innovation. They deserve their own holiday if you ask me. I will buy a CD today. Innovation or growth of jazz as Art is what I am looking for. What Wynton CD would inspire me if I had young, fresh, 21st century ears? I am not asking for your favorite. I want to hear him reaching into the future. I'll check back this evening for your recommendations. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  9. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    I'm hardly an expert on all of Wynton's recordings but the one that has blown me away is the the 7cd Live at the Vanguard. It is a collection of his live performances there over many years. Unbelievable.

And it is cheap. All 7 discs are only $19.95 on Itunes.

Probably the best jazz cd I've bought for the last year.

10. uapiper

uapiper Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Hamilton, Canada
    I just tried to buy the Village Vanguard cd's, they are only available in the US on iTunes right now. I have been listening to Big Train a lot lately. It's very cool to hear all the different things musically going on between the tracks.