Wyntons' Fashion

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by PhatmonB6, Dec 30, 2005.

1. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
  2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
  3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    It's great to see him alwys looking good.

Too many musicians now days think it's all about them.
    I hate going to see people perform and they are wearing jeans or shorts and tee-shirts etc. It looks BAD.

Our most casual outfit is a black suit and tie. If we are outdoors and it is REALLY hot, the jacket MIGHT come off. Otherwise it's always a black tux, or black tux pants and white dinner jacket.

-cw-

4. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    It does help when you've got Brooks Brothers sponsoring your group. If you've never looked at a Brooks Brothers suit, they're pretty expensive.

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    In one of Wynton’s books he states that he and his band always dress nice out of respect for what they do.

6. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    jUST TO ADD TO THE MIX..... I hate it when folks 'over-dress'... I mean tux/tie to a less than formal gig. I like clean n' neat. I love a well tailored suit. I just think you have to be careful not to go over the top.

7. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    I think Wynton's band does it right. I remember when I went to my first Maynard concert, I was surprised when I saw Maynard come out in a suit but the rest of the band was in black pants and Maynard T-shirts. Also, when I saw the Artie Shaw Orchestra last year, the band was just in all-black. Am I the only one that hates having to wear all-black to a gig?

8. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    Ive never gone ALL black. SOMETHING always has some color

I do admire a nice suit though, it looks great for ALMOST any performance

9. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    The all-black has always been requested, never my choice. Usually, it's by vocal directors (choir, musical) that want the musicians to fade away. I guess they're just that obsessed with uniformity.

10. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Yeah, my directors at school make the girls wear all black. The guys have band tuxes....with red bowties, and red cummerbunds (however that's spelled...) and the guys in Wind Symphony (the top band) have red sparkly things that go over the buttons on their white shirts. (Studs I think they're called? I know next to nothing about guy clothing....)

I think it's a bit boring.

Lara