wyntons incredible range!

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by gigbag, Dec 15, 2005.

1. gigbag

gigbag New Friend

Dec 15, 2005
    This is my first post on this great forum!I have a question for you Wilmer. I have noticed that Wyntons range seems to have 'shot up' considerably in the last 3-4 years. He seems to be able to play up to double C's with incredible ease.I remember in years gone past a double 'G' was about it. But know on recordings he is jumping into this extreme range so easily. Is this just him getting even better over time, or has he worked out something in particular? He is amazing!!!

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Higher does not mean better.
    Wynton seems to be playing more efficiently these days, though he makes me crazy when he start moving his head from side to side while he is playing.Slide Hampton used to chew gum and play.........Slide could have been President with talent like that :roll:
    Wilmer

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Isn't a double G higher than a double C? Just wondering if we've got our terminology straight.

4. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    Fair enough. But it is fun.

5. RusTrumpeter

RusTrumpeter New Friend

Nov 30, 2005
    Russia, Moscow
    Why it so difficult? double C high C triple C.
    I thought that it is very simply...
    c1 (low c), c2(midle c), c3(high c), c4(double c) ,c5 (triple C), c6 (quadruple c) :)

Wynton on his last album in Green Chimneys played a2-a2-a2-a2-a2-g2-c4 (I think) and after it and I was shocked a little -> a3-g3-a1 and eighth notes further:g3-a1-g3-a1-g3-Bb1-g3-a1-.... :)

6. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    oh-oh. here we go.........again. These double, high, triple threads always make my head spin.
    :oops:

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    For as long as I can remember, for both me and the other players that I know, 4th ledger G has always been "Double G" (and color me crazy, that seems to be a generally accpeted referral) and I will continue to refer to it as such until my dying day. Must we always argue this point? Is there really anyone here who didn't know what he was talking about?

Is it that Wynton wasn't capable before, or he simply left it mostly unused in his bag of tricks? I have heard that Wynton had astonishing range, but he didn't use it a lot because he didn't want to become known for that. Whether or not that is actually true is up for grabs because it's likely that it falls along the same lines as the rumor that used to circulate about Maynard fixing a flat bus tire with his chops and his phenominal air pressure.

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    So "High G" is the first space above the staff? And I always thought that "Double G" would be higher than "Double C"!

Alex, Manny, et al.... what do you folk call:

1) 1st leger space G
    2) 4th leger line G
    3) 6th leger space C
    4) 8th leger space G?

(NOTE: "High", "Higher", and "Highest" don't count as answers! )

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Nope, to me G on the staff is just G, or G below high C.

This is how I list them from high to low:

Anything above Triple C becomes 'quadruple'
    Anthing above Double C becomes 'triple'
    Double C
    Double G (fourth ledger above the staff)
    High C (second ledger above the staff)
    G below High C (G on top of the staff)
    Tuning C, or third space C
    G in the staff, or second line G
    Low C (first ledger below the staff)
    Low G

Of course all of this is probably wrong, but I've been using those referrals for well over 10 years and there has never been any confusion among my peers.

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I always thought, and heard that Double G is above Double C.

-cw-