Wynton's indentation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO, there isn't anyone I know of, that from photographs alone can ascertain how much or how little mpc pressure is being used, and that includes Physicians and Surgeons.

As for "red ring" after playing, on some it will be noticeably visible for a varying length of time from person to person, but no player I know can truthfully tell me the physiological cause is always pressure. For some it is silver allergy and for others it is just tissue sensitivity ... and I'm of this latter category whereas I am diabetic, but I'm an advocate of using as little pressure as possible and not for this reason. Seemingly, my endurance is improved with less pressure viz just enough to play the note correctly and comfortably.

I was amused, but not laughing, when I heard one male player tell me he cushioned his mpc with his mustache to avoid "red ring". Especially, when I played my euphonium or a tuba and had just a day's growth of beard, a stubble, the skin between my lips and nose became quite irritating and reddish beyond the area of mpc placement but dissipated when I ceased playing within the next half hour as helped along with the application of aloe gel. After playing now, I apply the same also to my lips. In summary, some show mpc impression and some don't. If such mark is lasting, or bothers you, I too recommend consulting with a physician as others have suggested.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Of course you could develop high blood pressure such that you entire face is always red, and then the red ring won't be so obvious ;-).

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    There are those players (and others) who develop a facial red flush simply by exertion. Too, I've observed facial veins being so prominent that it scares me.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Man I hope not, I have the same indentation on my upper lip. It comes from playing, a lot, not doing damage. He is not using too much pressure, he is not playing too much, he is playing a lot. Trumpet playing is his profession, and some of us out in trumpet land will develop this emblem of the profession, simply by playing a lot.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Please don't consult a physician if the mark bothers you. There is nothing we (I am a physician) would do about it other then recommending that if it bothers you, stop playing the horn. It is likely with time this will go away on its own, assuming the mark is not a scar from definite tissue damage which would be the less likely case.

To try to change the mark cosmetically is definitely in the realm of medicine, but the patient would not be left with the same lip anatomy, and this would likely impact on their playing, perhaps positively, perhaps just as likely with negative impact. Would the patient be willing to take this risk?

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    "I don't need somebody that's 18 to validate if I am "hip" or not!" Wynton Marsalis

The indentation can be found on many people that do NOT play trumpet. It could just be "genetic".

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    If anyone cares about Wynton's look, call him now and tell him to buy aloe vera gel from my store :lol: