Wynton's Swing Symphony

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetjens, Feb 14, 2013.

1. trumpetjens

trumpetjens Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2005
    WOW!!!!! I just saw Wynton Marsalis' "Swing Symphony" with the Brussels Philharmonic and Brussels Jazz Orchestra. It is the most incredible example I have ever seen of integrating jazz and classical music and musicians together on a concert stage. Brilliantly written and featuring every section of the orchestra. Wayne Marshall conducting. You also need the right kind of conductor for this work (which he was). Someone that understands groove and when to literally get out of the way of the musicians. Not just the jazz musicians, the classical ones as well. There is a beautiful segment where he just let the string basses play by themselves where it was true chamber music....not controlled by him but exactly the way that section just wanted to play it by themselves. In fact, this was a theme throughout the orchestra. I have never seen so many smiling musicians just having a ball with this work....it is how it should always be but rarely is.

Audience loved it too. Wynton has brilliantly threaded together all musicians on stage as well....everyone was acoustic except for the bass who had just one small, unobtrusive amp.

As though we didn't know it already, Wynton has attained iconic status. I will actually now go one further, I will not allow younger players to criticize him anymore in that way that all musicians are capable of when dealing out those 'backhanded' compliments. Of course it's a free country and one is entitled to an opinion, but trumpet players in particular should just be lucky that we have Wynton at all...he has risen to a place that only the rarified few ever get to and that entitles him to universal respect....period!

Jens Lindemann
    Jens Lindemann's Web Quarters

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wynton IS one of those special and gifted individuals. The scary thing is so is Branford... and even scarier... Elis is the foundation for both of these cats AND Nicholas Payton AND Terence Blanchard. So is it genetic or environmental? All are pasionate about their music... perhaps this is the root to their amazing presence... whether you agree with it or not.

3. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    I hope he'll spare me the half hour. He is playing with the Lincoln Center Jazz orchestra next month. He's a great trumpeter and the people he works with bring his ability to new heights each time he plays. I'm fond of his ability to play classical and jazz. Not many can do that. I think young people don't find Wynton interesting because he's very traditional with his interpretations of jazz.

Sometimes a classic dish with minimal ingredients of the highest quality is all that is needed to show talent. Wnyton often does that. I'm thinking many younger players are too immature to see that.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So agree... At our roots is simplicity... we must never forget our roots...

5. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Mostly environmental. If you lived here you would understand.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I can only dream and wish that this be so.