X4

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Gnostic, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Gnostic

Gnostic New Friend

Oct 24, 2003
    :)

2. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Hi David!

You got some lungs huh? The bell on the X4 is a large (a) bell, so no it is only availible in brass and "beryllium bronze". The reason I know this information is because I tried to order a "copper" bell tha "A" size thinking that the the only copper bell they had was the "beryllium bronze" one...

Currently, here is what bells Schilke makes for B-series horns:

Size A (large or #1):

Brass
    Light weight Copper "beryllium bronze"

Size B (medium-large or #2)

Brass
    Standard weight Copper

Size C (medium or #3)

Brass
    Standard weight Copper

I hope that cleans up any confusion for you.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Hey Marc. It would be really cool if someone were to make up a grid that shows what bore design, bell size, bell material, etc. was the "standard" for each Schilke model and what (as far as is known) might be optional for each model. Think you're up to it?

4. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    great idea - maybe we can fill in some blanks - new sticky topic added!

5. Gnostic

Gnostic New Friend

Oct 24, 2003

6. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    David,

You can get a "b" sized bell in standard weight copper on an X4 body - remember that they build to order and are a custom shop. Also keep in mind that if you have a tunable bell model, Schilke bell options are near endless...

To answer your second question I will defer to a little bell history for Schilke:

Paul Jeniga was an employee at Schilke that came up with the process of creating 1 piece brass bells. ON PIECE - NO SEAMS! To make a long story short, Schilkes brass bells are made by the Jeninga Brothers in Wisconsin now.

I know that Anderson Plating makes the light copper bells for them and possibly the regular copper ones (unconfirmed). The light ones are fabricated electrolytically. I would surmise that they do not have a setup to form the larger bell flair version. Of course with Schilke being a custom horn builder I am sure anything is probable, I did not push the question because I was confused and calling a "beryllium bronze" a copper one - to Schilke this mean I want a standard weight copper bell.

You can always contact their Sales Manager Phill to inquire about the possibility of a one off bell of this fashion. Phil can be reached via email at [email protected] or by phone at 1.708.343.8858

let us know what you end up doing!

-marc

7. Gnostic

Gnostic New Friend

Oct 24, 2003

8. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Gnostic,

the standard weight copper bell can now be purchad in the large #1 (A) size - see the post on standard schilke configurations to see all optional bells....

-marc