XANAX

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by TopGun, Jan 15, 2004.

1. TopGun

TopGun Pianissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Talked to my dr. today and he thought I should use xanax instead of inderal. I like to live a very clean lifestyle so the use of drugs is something I am very carefull about. I would like to know if any of you have experience with xanax? How does it compare to inderal? Thanks for the help and I hope everyone is having a great new year!

TG

2. rank_amateur

rank_amateur New Friend

Jan 11, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Kind of an odd comparison, actually. Xanax is a mild tranquilizer, used primarily for people with anxiety disorders - "panic attacks" in layman's terms. I thought inderal was a hypertension med.

My wife has a prescription for Xanax, though she rarely uses it. A few years back when my father was dying, she had me take it once or twice. All it did was calm me down, made me feel a little... odd, as I recall. But nothing serious.

3. romey1

romey1 Banned

Oct 25, 2003
    out

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I have used both, and they work well for what they are intended.

However, keep in mind that Xanax affects your brain

Inderal affects your heart.

Personally, I would use Inderal for stage fright.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    TopGun. Do you have any heart conditions? I am a bit surprised a Dr. would give you Xanax for performance anxiety. I don't think xanax is going to block the "beta receptors" like a beta blocker will.

I'm not sure where the Dr. was going with this one. For example if you get the "shakes" while performing I would put my money down that you would not with 10mgs of the pink stuff. With xanax I don't know. I don't think that will help things like shaking or shortness of breath etc. Maybe I am wrong.

WebMd might be a good place to look into this. In any case I think xanax might be a bit much for what you need. And I don't think it will help cure the physical symptoms of performance anxiety some people deal with.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Here is some info:

What is alprazolam? (xanax)

• Alprazolam is in a class of drugs called benzodiazepines. Alprazolam affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause anxiety.

• Alprazolam is used to relieve anxiety, nervousness, and tension associated with anxiety disorders. Alprazolam is also used to treat panic disorders.

• Alprazolam may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

What is the most important information I should know about alprazolam?

• Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Alprazolam will cause drowsiness and may cause dizziness. If you experience drowsiness or dizziness, avoid these activities.

• Avoid alcohol while taking alprazolam. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness caused by alprazolam.

• Do not crush, chew, or break the extended-release form alprazolam (Xanax XR). Swallow them whole. These tablets are specially formulated to release the medication slowly in the body.

• Alprazolam is habit forming. You can become physically and psychologically dependent on the medication. Do not take more than the prescribed amount of medication or take it for longer than is directed by your doctor. Withdrawal effects may occur if alprazolam is stopped suddenly after several weeks of continuous use. Seizures may be a side effect of sudden discontinuation of the medication. Your doctor may recommend a gradual reduction in dose.

What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking alprazolam?

• Do not take alprazolam if you have narrow-angle glaucoma. Alprazolam may worsen this condition.

• Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you
    · have kidney disease;
    · have liver disease;
    · have a history of alcohol or drug abuse;
    · have asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, or another respiratory disease;
    · are depressed or have suicidal thoughts; or
    · have mania, bipolar disorder, or another psychiatric condition (other than anxiety or panic disorder).

• You may not be able to take alprazolam, or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment if you have any of the conditions listed above.

• Alprazolam is in the FDA pregnancy category D. This means that alprazolam is known to be harmful to an unborn baby. Do not take this medication without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or could become pregnant during treatment.

• It is not known whether alprazolam passes into breast milk. Do not take alprazolam without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.

• If you are over 65 years of age, you may be more likely to
    experience side effects from alprazolam. Your doctor may prescribe a lower dose of the medication.

How should I take alprazolam?

• Take alprazolam exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these instructions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.

• Take each dose with a full glass of water.

• Do not crush, chew, or break the extended-release form alprazolam (Xanax XR). Swallow them whole. These tablets are specially formulated to release the medication slowly in the body.

• Do not take more of the medication than is prescribed for you.

• Alprazolam is habit forming. You can become physically and psychologically dependent on the medication. Do not take more than the prescribed amount of medication or take it for longer than is directed by your doctor. Withdrawal effects may occur if alprazolam is stopped suddenly after several weeks of continuous use. Seizures may be a side effect of sudden discontinuation of the medication. Your doctor may recommend a gradual reduction in dose.

• Store alprazolam at room temperature away from moisture and heat.

What are the possible side effects of alprazolam?

• If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking alprazolam and seek emergency medical attention or contact your doctor immediately:
    · an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, face, or tongue; or hives);
    · sores in the mouth or throat;
    · yellowing of the skin or eyes;
    · a rash;
    · hallucinations or severe confusion; or
    · changes in vision.

• Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take alprazolam and talk to your doctor if you experience
    · drowsiness, dizziness, or clumsiness;
    · depression;
    · nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or constipation;
    · difficulty urinating;
    · vivid dreams;
    · headache;
    · dry mouth;
    · decreased sex drive; or
    · changes in behavior.

• Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

7. gus

gus Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Inderal ( Propanolol is the generic drug ) is not for the hearth but
    is used for pacients with cardio-diseases.

What Inderal does is to block ( that's why is a beta blocker ) the
    reception of the adrenalin through the nervous system. This is
    important in hearth diseases because one of the main effect
    of the adrenalin is to increase the hearth beat that it is not
    desirable in certain cardiological conditions. Adrenalin is a
    natural mechanism to increse the response of human body
    under stress.

Hope it helps.

Gus

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Fellas, I suppose that each of us makes up his own mind about how badly we need to take drugs. I know that I shudder to see some of the drug advertising that's on the U.S. TV stations that we receive in Canada. To my understanding, NO advertising for prescription drugs is permitted in public forums "up here"; (advertising from the drug companies to the doctors, however is a totally different situation). I believe that the result of this is a generally more "accepting attitude" to swallowing chemicals in the U.S.

But the point of this post isn't about U.S. vs other countries....it's about whether one NEEDS to take drugs to perform. I know I would have very serious reservations about even getting involved with trumpet (or anything else for that matter) that required me to take "mood altering" medications to get through performances. I like to think that either I learn how to handle the stress in the first place OR change my expectations about what level of performance I aspire to.

Yes, I know what "stage fright" is (the first time our trumpet choir performed "in public" I came off the stage thinking "now I know where vibrato comes from...FEAR!" But you just have to "suck it up" and learn to deal with it....or you shouldn't be there in the first place.

I think it's fair to say that most of us non-athletes don't have much sympathy for "professionally amateur" athletes who take drugs so that they can perform....so why do we accept it within our own "fraternity"?

Just my musings on the subject...don't pay them any attention.

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Please don't trivialize something as harmful as anxiety. There are many real causes for debilitating anxiety and many successful, responsible ways of dealing with anxiety through proper medication and programs.

PM me for more details.

Greg