Xeno

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Yeah, to each his own. I kind of felt like the Xenos were a bit too plain for my taste. They reminded me of a Bach, without that Bach "Ring."

Of course, my instructor absolutely rocks with his Xeno! His is a large-bore, with reversed tune slide, amado water key on the third valve slide, and straight water key on his main tune slide. I still think that combination looks cool, lol.

Van

2. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    I tried out the regular 8335, the 8335RGS, and the 8345.

I found that the regular horn was nice, but it didn't have anything special about it. The 8345 (large bore) was awesome sounding, very open and everything, but for me I couldn't play it because I don't have that kind of air support. I settled with the RGS and I love it. It sounds great in my Wind Symphony and Jazz band. It's very open and the harmonics are incredible!

Another horn I would suggest is the Conn Vintage 1B. I almost got that one...

Lara

3. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Like any horn, it will sound *so* much better if it has been customized. One is because of the better quality materials, but I also think knowing you have one built around you and your personal taste.

The top horns for anyone to try within the "budget" (i.e. $1000-$1600) level is: Xeno, Vintage 1, B&S Challenger 2, and any used Elkhart Strad before the 90s. An early Elkhart, when found, go for a steal. When I finally give in and join the workforce, I am most definitely adding an Early Elkhart to my collection.

Lara, have you ever tried a Blackburn pipe with your Xeno?

Van

4. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Lara, IMHO, the first step to customization of a new horns is a Precision Valve Alignment and there's no big hurry for that. You might send it to Brass Bow or Reeves while you're on summer vacation. 99% of the time you'll notice a signficant improvement from that.

Leadpipes, IMHO, are best saved for trumpets with "problems", like a 229C Bach or an Olds Ambassador. Don't get me wrong, they can transform a trumpet, BUT you just went through a long selection process, which included the leadpipe, so why would you change that.

Dave

5. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Yeah, Dave is right. My opinion on how great Blackburn pipes are could be due to the fact that the Strad I tested the pipes on SUCKED. It did transform that Strad into the best one I've ever played on, though.

Then again, with the Blackburn pipe, I can't really call the horn a "Strad" anymore, can I? :D

Van

6. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    I agree that they are fantastic horns - well made and consistent and will blend into any situation. I also agree with the above post as i too have found them a bit dull and lacking in character, but still a great horn and one I would recommend if you like the sound you make on it.

MM