XIV century trumpets...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BernArt, Aug 20, 2015.

1. BernArt

BernArt Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Merida, Mexico
    Hello. I have been reading and listening to early music lately and I would like to hear comments on the trumpets that were used in Guillaume Dufay's works like "Les Batailles", "L'homme armé", and some motets (supremum est mortalibus bonum series)... What kind of trumpets were mostrly used at those times ? (late Middle Ages) Are those trumpets like today's known "Rennaisance natural trumpets"? Similar to the Baroque natural trumpets? Were Medieval trumpets different? In wich ways? I will appreciate your comments about it. Thank you in advance. !
    BernArt

2. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Sub'd

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I'd have crack open the books to answer your question, but I just want to comment that I got a chuckle from your choice, for a historic instrument thread, of "XIV", instead of "fourteenth" or "14th".

Well played. ;-)

(@ gunshowtickets - what does Sub'd mean, please?)

4. gunshowtickets

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Subscribed, for later reading. When I did my research, it was from renaissance on, so I'm curious.

I type this as the great horny owl family is hooting in my neighbourhood. I would like to know how they do it, because you can hear them from over a mile away. Particularly entertaining when one snags a coney, which I'm all to grateful for them to do. The other houses are too close for the .22.

5. BernArt

BernArt Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Merida, Mexico
    Sorry for the confusing "XIV century".... I wanted to mean 14th century. My English is sometimes too basic to be posting here . Thanks for your pacience! :oops:

6. gunshowtickets

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Si necesita que se quiere traducir pero no está seguro de la traducción, hablo español.

Your english skills don't seem too bad. Besides, we're here to learn and to help!

I found the thread title entertaining.

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Read up "The Trumpet" by Edward Tarr. Everything you need to know is there, in one handy book.

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    So . . is that a note to yourself, to the OP, or to the readership?

9. BernArt

BernArt Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Merida, Mexico
    Thank you barliman2001!!! A wonderful book by a great artist indeed. I got the information I was looking for. Best regards.
    BernArt