Xstream Trumpets was rather rude to me any one have problems with them?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lovevixen555, Feb 15, 2009.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I emailed them about product priceing and availablitly since the products I wanted in the finish's I liked where no longer listed on their site. In fact the trumpet section of their site went from haveing a lot of stuff going on with end of year model changes and new models and different finished tot he tune of 5-6 different finish's to only two finish's I think it was. So I asked about the other models especialy the silver as I hate lacquer even though that is mostly what I own. I have never liked the looks or feel of lacquer. I also asked if they had any more of the old models from last year that where advertised at closeout prices of $250.

I was completly polite and friendly as I was really interested in their products. I got an email that was rude and just sounded angry and beligerant in it's tone. First the tried to tell me they never had any models at $250 even though Ihad printed the page out fromt he internet to keep in my folder of interested items. The current models are $350 which is still very cheap for a new trumpet. Then they where juust very short about only offering what they have ont heir site no other finish's or models etc.....I sure the guy w3as haveing a bad day but no other company that I have ever emailed asking regular consumer questions has ever been rude to me in an email and I have been shopping online since 1995 so it has been a while. So is this how these guys always do business because to be honest I know do not want to do business with them even when they get what I want backin stock I just feel like I am not dealing with a professional. Normaly someone in sales is friendly and eager to answere your questions.

Oh and I also asked if their was anyone I could try one play test before I bought. The answere I got was was somethign like this " Well seeing how you live in Michigan your out of luck because we do not have any dealer's in Michigan!" It was not that friendly though I wish Ihad saved the email now but it was very sassy and condesending. I have to be angry to do a good job typeing that way I am not good and at fakeing it.

So did I just catch these guys on a really bad day like a death in the family or something or are these guys always like this???

2. Pakatak

Pakatak New Friend

Two things, one in their defense, and one for you.

For one, I do not remember any of their horns being $250, not even their two-year-old standard lacquer models. They were all $350 until they sold out (or perhaps they had one or two left and dropped it to $250, but I doubt it).

I, however, didn't even get a response when I inquired about their flugelhorns. Who knows, maybe customer service sucks, but the few people I've talked to that talked to the guy in Arizona that owns the business said he was a good guy to talk to.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Perhaps it had something to do with the e-mail that you sent them? There's no excuse for poor customer service, but if they couldn't understand your e-mail, or if your message seemed rude in the first place, it may have coused the negative tone in response.

I recommend calling companies if you have several questions. It eliminates a lot of confusion..

4. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Among others: Bach, Harrelson, Getzen, Taylor, Amado,
    Wartburton, Flip Oakes (Wild Thing), and now X-stream
    has been hit by LV555's "lightning positive" attitude....
    Not to forget all the valve oil manufacturers in the world.
    And the mouthpiece makers?

Anyone want to set up a poll regarding LV's next victim?

5. St.Louis Blues

St.Louis Blues New Friend

Dec 9, 2006
    St. Louis, Mo.
    The bad thing about email's is that things can be misinterpreted very easily. I had no problem speaking with John Eth of Xstream and I found him to be very personable and knowledgeable guy. I would much rather speak to someone about their product than use an email but that's just me. I'd like to see your original email and the response he gave you. You make a lot of claims in regards to this email but haven't provided any evidence of it. So my suggestions would be to contact John directly to see if maybe there was some miscommunication that may have been going on here. John is a super nice guy and a pro player. I purchsed one of his horns and really like it. Personally I use it as a backup horn and parade horn and for the price it's not a bad ax! :thumbsup:

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Maybe we all expect things from other people that just are not realistic. If a business selling at rock bottom prices has a "tone", that is their right, whether we like it or not. If they refuse to sell to everybody, so what. At the end of the day, we all reap what we have sowed.

LV, if your E'mail to Loud was written in a style similar to your posts here, we may have found the solution. Cut the word count to about 25%, run the spell check and reread your message before pushing the submit button. Your style is hard to read, not easily understood and often very much pointing the finger at everyone else. You are entitled to that opinion, but need to understand, that is not what necessarily gets positive results. In any case, no one OWES you courtesy. That is freely given or sometimes not. When a negative is drawn, looking in the mirror can be helpful.

MJ and Schwab like this.
  7. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    I had a very pleasant experience dealing with John Eth, although it proved to be much easier just to call than to use e-mail. He was very polite, helpful, and honest in describing his horns. His service was very prompt. And my granddaughter is perfectly happy with her Xstream flugel (it really needs a big, deep mouthpiece to bring out a good flugel sound, but that's the only thing we found that needed to be changed).

8. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    I purchased a mouthpiece from them a couple of years ago. John Eth was extremely nice and professional. Loves to talk trumpet....spent like an hour just talking. The mouthpieces are of excellent quality.

9. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    LV555,

You'd hassle a place for a $100 when you gave the impression they sold good trumpets? How could you expect to get silverplate at $250 anyway? Most manufacturers charge more for silverplate than for lacquer.

Maybe you should try to buy local, so you can talk to the people up front. It does not appear you like doing that over the internet. Maybe the person over the internet didn't understand your email, as most of us have difficulty understanding you here. Email in general (by anyone) can sometimes appear to be caustic (and in your face) when that is not the intent of the sender. It appears that happened between you and the receiver at Xstream.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
    MJ likes this.