Y'all ready f' dis? (NEW GAME)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, May 2, 2006.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I dunno, I kind of like it. I feel like a high power nail gun by the end. :oops: Do it on Bflat and C trumpet is a breeze.

2. heik

heik New Friend

Sep 28, 2005
    Brazil
    Hi Mr. L,

I have been playing the "Game" since you posted it and I have already felt the benefits of it. It occured to me you could probably apply the same concept of going back to the previous keys just played on the Clarke Techinical Studies also.

It would add another layer on the multiple ways one can do those exercises. I myself do it as written with repeats on single tongue, double tongue, K tongue, doubling the eight note (two of every note), triplets on every note and then 4 sixteenths on every note. (was that clear?).

Anyway, again thanks for sharing.

Best to you,
    Heinz Karl.

3. Spleeyah!

Spleeyah! Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2005
    Manny,

So, I read your initial post about this new game a week ago. I've done it everyday this week after my warm-up routine and it has worked GREAT for me! I wanted to try it out for a week to get a better evaluation of the results.

My articulation is clearer and more even, tone is a bit more full, and low register response is better (wasn't really bad before but it's definitley better now! :D ) and this exercise works well as another finger technique builder. And it's only been one week, I can't wait to see the results after longer periods of time!

Thanks, Manny! We appreciate the wisdom! :cool:

- Brad

4. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
    And I thought that my cat was the only Maeoist around here!
    Or am I suffering from a little Confucian?

Still enjoying the game and the Ravel went very well. Thanks.

5. Fudleysmith

Fudleysmith Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2006
    Niantic, CT
    I have a quick question. Why can I do this exercise faster with my eyes OPEN? :?:

Once I realized that I slowed down or stumbled more when I closed my eyes, I've practiced it with eyes shut. Speed and facility have gotten better, but they still aren't as fast (or as easy) as when my eyes are open.

I can't imagine that my brain is optically processing the actual finger positions at these speeds, so I am curious if anyone has a reasonable explanation. Do you feel a difference with your eyes open or shut?

Thanks,

Fudleysmith

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    You're probably squeezing your facial muscles in a way that affects the muscles in your neck. That causes tension. Tension slows down the tongue.

ML

7. Rimshot

Rimshot Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    I suggest only playing with your eyes shut if there is a conductor present.

8. Fudleysmith

Fudleysmith Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2006
    Niantic, CT
    Thanks Manny,

I had only addressed it from a cognitive point of view, not from a physical one. I'll ask someone to watch me to see if I am "screwing my eyes shut" or just closing my eyes. And yes, all of you punsters and jokers, I do realize what a straight line I have just fed to you. :-P

Fudleysmith