Yamaha 14A4a Mouthpiece: Possible Concerns

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by BrassMaverick, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Bflatman you need to come to Cincinnati!
    We shoot people over fishing spots on public rivers, have legit turf wars when in the drug game
    Shoot at gangster rappers!
    Burn our local police stations
    Have wonton race relations problem
    Lots of Buskers
    Maybe an exotic vacation idea?
    You might even feel at home!

Vivek Patel and Acludwig1 like this.
  2. Vivek Patel

Vivek Patel Pianissimo User

Jul 8, 2017
    Porterville, CA
    You know Dennis, I probably shouldn't admit this publicly, but I wish there was much, much more of this sort of activity in the world. I really do. The world is more peaceful than ever, but it's a dullard's peace, the peace of a rock sitting idly at the bottom of the sea. Where are the goddamned explosions? Where is the war? The batter of humanity is not being stirred at an adequate rate.

Dennis78 likes this.
  3. MikeyZ

MikeyZ New Friend

Feb 19, 2017
    I have been on the mouthpiece hunt for years. I always come back to my 14A4a yamaha mouthpiece that came with my 6340ST yamaha trumpet.I use it for every type of music. It is reliable and if your embouchure adjusts to it like it has for me it works great.

4. BrassMaverick

BrassMaverick New Friend

Nov 23, 2016
    Dear MikeyZ,

It makes me sincerely happy to see that at least one person here on TrumpetMaster is quite satisfied with the Yamaha 14A4a. Although it's not quite for me personally, it's still one of the many beautiful creations molded straight from modern, precise Japanese technology -- and in the right hands, it can work absolute wonders.

I have to ask: do you have any experience with Curry mouthpieces? And if so, have you experimented specifically with the 3M, the 60M (600 Series), and/or the 60S (600 Series)?

I've read that a Curry M-cup mouthpiece is generally a hair shallower than the Vincent-Bach 3C, and 600 Series mouthpieces have a greater undercut for fleshier pairs of chops. So, I figured that the combination of an M-cup and a 600 Series bite/undercut would suffice me very well for lead trumpet in my high school pep band, hence my suggestion of the 60M/60S.

Trumpets:

Getzen 3051 Custom Series Trumpet
    Yamaha YTR-200AD "Advantage" Student Trumpet
    Mendini MPT-L Pocket Trumpet

Mouthpieces:

Yamaha 14B4 (Concert/Solo/Low Jazz)
    Yamaha 14A4a (Marching/Pep/High Jazz)

"Any good friend of the trumpet is a good friend of mine...just as long as they know how to play one." ~ BrassMaverick

5. MikeyZ

MikeyZ New Friend

Feb 19, 2017
    The Curry 5Z is similar to the 14A4a for feel and specs. and cost.