yamaha 2320

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RAK, Nov 10, 2009.

1. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Hello,

I got a trumpet for a good deal. The trumpet is a yamaha 2320. The bottom cap of the 1st valve is missing and the 3rd slide ring is missing. Does anyone know where I can get those parts? also the 1st valve keeps on getting stuck. I think that it is a little bent even tho I cant see it. Can a music guy fix this or is this unfixable?

thanks.

2. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    If the valve is bent, you need a new valve! But if the casing is bent, then you have baught a wreck!

A Yamaha dealer can fix you the missing parts!

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    There are so many Yamaha 2320s around you can probably find parts quite easily. Check with your local shop, eBay,craigslist, etc. You may be able to buy another horn just for parts for $25.

veery

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    If the valve is bent, a tech can fix it. If the casing is out of round, a tech can also fix it.
    A tech will probably also have the parts you need.

5. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Thanks for the replies. I will have to stop by the music store. The valve is bent a tiny bit. It is hard to see that it is bent with the naked eye. The repair guys should be able to fix it up. The casing is very good. I will post a pic in a few mins.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  6. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    The test of whether it's the valve or the casing is to put the valve in a different casing and see if the valve works fine, and to put a different valve into that valve's casing and see if it works fine.

On Yamahas it might be that the piston simply needs a careful polishing -- sometimes if a Yamaha has sat unused for a long time, a reaction occurs between the metal of the valve and the metal of the valve casing, causing a darkening of the piston at that point. Polishing that away takes care of the problem without the need for buying a new trumpet.

In any event, a repair technician can take care of all your needs with that trumpet and it shouldn't cost very much.

7. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    I tried that and it still doesn't work really good. I did polish each valve. The valve started to work better. I will send it in. I got the trumpet for $15. I think I got a good deal. I will fix it up and give it to someone who cant afford a horn at my church.

[​IMG]
    Here the 3rd slide is missing.

[​IMG]

Valves in order 1,2,3. 1st one is bent.

[​IMG]
    1st valve cap missing

[​IMG]
    Valve casing is good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you look closely you can see tape. It looks like some big dents on a picture. The trumpet isn't soldered yet so I taped it.

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Yes, you did get a great deal. It sounds like you are close to having it work right so it shouldn't cost much to make it playable. You are a very thoughtful and giving person to think about someone else who is in need. The people around you are lucky to have you in their congregation. Good for you.

9. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    I know how it feels if you cant afford a horn so I decided to help people. If any of you guys have these parts would you sell them for a few dollars?