Yamaha 4335G vs Kanstul 700

Discussion in 'Horns' started by ned, Nov 8, 2016.

1. ned

ned New Friend

Jun 27, 2009
    I am looking at the Yamaha 4335G or the Kanstul 700 as my first trumpet (I have been playing cornet for a while ). I can get the Kanstul (used but as new condition) for less than £100 more than the Yamaha, so price isn't the deciding factor. What would serve me best as a mature beginner? Sound-wise I tend to like a somewhat darker timbre, but I realise this can depend as much on mouthpiece as horn; what I am most interested is in ease of playing, quality of built & durability. I don't really want to buy a very cheap entry-level trumpet: I will be sticking with it so would rather have a degree of quality from the start. Thanks.

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Both are good horns. Personally, I am am a Kanstul fan. If you can try out both horns, then do so and go with the one you think fits you the best.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm with Steve on this - either would be a decent enough choice, (although I'd lean toward the Yamaha) so it's a matter of which one you like better if you have the chance to play each of them. If you can, take someone else along too because that can reinforce the decision, and give you another set of ears to help make the choice.

I recently went with a friend of mine when he was picking out a new pro-level horn. While most of the horns we tried played fine, there were a couple of them that really stood out from a sound perspective, and I think that has a great deal with how you perceive a trumpet to play. If the sound of the horn is naturally close your sound concept in your head, you aren't going to fight the horn to try to push it to the sound you think it should have.

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    The twist to this is that the sound getting back to your head can be different than the sound going out to your audience. I have developed the habit of recording the horn I'm playing from in front of the horn. I also record from near my ears for comparison. The difference between the timbre from feedback and from projection usually differ, sometimes subtly, sometimes markedly. I find it an interesting and sometimes challenging experience to reconcile the two. It adds another layer of information to consider when comparing instruments. Ideally the difference is minor, which, to me, anyway, indicates a better (for lack of a better term[pun intended]) horn, since the feedback is faithful to the projection, and any adjustments made to how the horn is played will be accurately reflected in what I hear as I play. What I'm saying is that the sound you hear in your head may be coming out the front of your horn, but the sound you hear from behind it may not match. Choosing a horn solely by how it sounds to you may be a mistake.