Yamaha 635T FLugelhorn issues it tuning.....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by larrygk, May 23, 2013.

1. larrygk

larrygk Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2012
    Cincinnati
    While the vendor I bought it from is a very reasonable guy and it will be returned, comments on this are appreciated. So bought used. cleaned it. It will not tune regardless of what you do. Here' the details: did compression test for leakage and that was very good. Have a brand new Bob Reeves flugel MPC but tried other players MPC's (one is a pro) as well. No difference. MPC's seat fine. Even tried a different lead pipe...no difference. Tuning: for example a C to C, or C# to C# octave, you get the lower note to tune and the octave up is sharp and will not center even with varying pressure. Don't think it is valve adjustment. No dents or dings of any significance. Played it a bit during purchase but not extensively. For those not familiar with the 635T it has the 3rd valve trigger and slides on the other valves as well Comments welcome but this is weird. As my instructor said...get it out of your arsenal.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    have you checked the valve alignment?

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It might be the shank. Yamaha requires a standard shank, Reeves also makes a French and Bach shank. Have you tried it with a Yamaha mouthpiece?

4. larrygk

larrygk Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2012
    Cincinnati
    While it was claimed that a valve alignment was done (which is why I did not check it yet), that would be the next thing. Thanks.

5. larrygk

larrygk Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2012
    Cincinnati
    Yes the new Reeves IS a standard shank. I know what you are referring to re the other designs. No have not tried it with a Yamaha MPC, but Reeves is pretty good, knows the horn. I did notice that the Reeves MPC does slide into the receiver farther than I would have expected but it seats fine and tight. FWIW.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Flugels are notorious with tuning.
    Valve alignment first
    Mouthpiece selection
    Woodshed hours with tuner

Welcome to the world of Flugels. I cannot offer more than the guidance above.
    Good luck

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Sorry I don't know your playing experience. Are you playing it gently? Or brashly like a trumpet? Flugels need to be caressed.

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Yes, Yes - On the Money.
    Wrestle with a trumpet - romance and caress a Flugel. It will kick back if you play it like a trumpet. That can cause a lot of the intonation issues.

Grab a tuner and try a few Ballads - work your scales and get to know your new love.

9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    And...
    Speaking of Ballads:
    Publications

10. larrygk

larrygk Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2012
    Cincinnati
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Yes I have had a flugel for 3 years with no big tuning issues whatsoever. The very reason I own one is for ballads. Happy with the Paris Selmer Chorus 80j for trumpet wrestling ;-). And have a Reeves CJ MPC for "flugel-like" playing for the Paris. But it's not the same as the real thing of course. Some of my fav's: Portrait of Jenny, Here's That Rainy Day, My Valentine by Paul McCartney...not the Valentine you are thinking.... You Go to My Head, etc, etc etc......It may be valve alignment. Yes have the good quality tuners as well. As I mentioned, a local performing pro tried it as well, who usually plays his Couson.