Yamaha 9335NY Night of Trumpets on Dec 6th NYC

Discussion in 'Horns' started by 65Strad, Dec 10, 2005.

1. 65Strad

65Strad Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    Toms River, New Jersey
    I went to the Yamaha Night of Trumpets 9335NY unveiling event in NYC at Yamaha on 5th Ave. with my son. We both play 43 Strads. I found the new yammie to be very easy to play and they slotted very well. Great flexibility, you just didnt have to work hard. Player friendly for sure. Wayne Tanabe had done valve alignments on quite a few of them so they would be "optomised". You could tell by the synthetic pad material vs. felt on the others.

I asked Dave Lotozo (of Yamaha in NYC) and he verified my observation. The valve alignments really were a plus, except for one that a local jazz pro had to return after a gig from the night before. He got his before the official release and had a terrible time with it. The horn simply played out of tune because of the horn, not the alignment. My son is blessed w/almost perfect pitch listened to us tune to each other and some notes wouldn't play in tune. I swore that it had to be me (not a pro) but the consensus was that it was that particular 9335NY. A freak situation. He took another and sounded outstanding and in tune it took that home.

Sean Jones and Nicholas Payton were were great and they played the 9335NY for Jazz. Later at 7:00 pm Robert Sullivan played a classical recital on the 9335NY among other horns and was great too. Jazz or classical, the horn worked great. I spoke to Sullivan and asked him his thought about alignments and he mentioned the Wayne aligned two of his horns that day before the recital and that it made a difference for the positive. So I said "you don't believe that alignments are voodoo?" and his response was a resounding no. He is very particular about everything being "just right" not a real "loose" kind of guy, so I felt that his response spoke volumes in regard to the value and validity to precision valve alignments. Wayne also did 2 of my Strad cornets, and made already great horns even better. By the way, Nicholas Payton has all of his done too per his response when I asked him during Q&A.

For me personally, I still love that opulent /resonant core to the sound of my 43 ML Strad and it was less than $400. new in 1972. This Yamaha is the real deal, a sort of "everymans superhorn, with nimble flexibility and dead on slotting and a tremendous instrument that will allow anyone to be a better more efficient player. The sound had much more of a core and personality than "typical" Yamahas. It felt siimilar, and looked quite a bit like my 1972 43 Strad down to the shape of the crook in the tuning slide. The seam is on the side of the bell like theold Mt Vernons according to Wayne Tanabe. A very cool night for all that were there.

Tom

2. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    I think the point of the NY Yammie is to capture the beautiful resonance, projection and tonal balance of the best NY Bachs. So, how does it sound? People keep talking about it's slotting and blow characteristics, but I want to know how it sounds. Hopefully it blows away the Xenos and is superior to Elkhart Bachs in tonal palette. If not and it merely blows well, then it's a waste, IMHO.

Dave

3. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    First of all, Tom, where were you sitting? I was the guy in the turtleneck and tweed jacket. I assume that Sean, Bob, and Nicholas would sound good on toiolet paper tubes, but I must say they sounded fantastic on their horns. I agree that Robert Sullivan is a bit buttoned up, but he sure plays pretty, even for the little bit I heard. I have much more to say about Sean, but I gotta go....

4. BflatAnklan

BflatAnklan Pianissimo User

Jan 28, 2005
    Midwest area USA
    I played one on Thursday when Nicholas Payton was at Morehead State University. I will buy one!

5. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    does anybody have a pic of the horn?

6. BFlinch83

BFlinch83 Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I got mine from Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center today and love it! It's a great great horn! Thanks to Lee W. at Chuck's!

The horn sounds less like a Yamaha than I thought it would. It has a very balanced high and low frequency in the sound. I tried 4 horns, 2 of which were darker and 2 of which were brighter. The eveness was completely consistent for all 4, but I chose the darker of the 2 bright models. It's a very versatile sound and the ease of play is truely amazing!

It is MUCH better than the Chicago C's that are currently coming off the line IMO. I tried 4 of those a week ago and they all had problems. The Bb's today didn't at all. Really great feel and sound.

The cost was not as high as some forums proclaim. I'm not sure if I can post it here, but if you want to know, call Chuck's or Stu's since I believe they both have them in stock now.

I'm not sure if I'll get an alignment next time I'm in NYC. Any new opinions?