Yamaha Flugelhorn Mouthpiece Receiver Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gdong, Feb 1, 2009.

1. gdong

gdong Piano User

Jun 7, 2008
    LA/Lake Tahoe/NYC
    I hav a YFH-6310Z flugelhorn (bobby shew model) and have been noticing quite a spread of flugelhorn receiver types among various horns. The mouthpiece that came with the horn has a much smaller shank than a curry flugel mouthpiece i bought, and the reciever size is smaller than a kanstul flugel receiver but larger than some besson flugel recievers i've seen.

What are the standard receiver types for flugelhorn (or the most commonly used?). I want to know either what type of flugel mouthpiece shank to request on a new mouthpiece, or what type of reciever to get on a new flugelhorn. Can it be just as simple as getting another tuning slide or a sleeve from Bob Reeves?

Thanks!

2. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    You are in Curry Country (Tahoe). Give Mark a call and ask him. In LA give Bob Reeves a call. They both know their business.

Charlie Melk in Milwaukee makes after-market leadpipes that take the "standard" bach morse #1 taper. those are about $120 or so.

3. teacherchops

teacherchops New Friend

Jul 15, 2007
    Charlottetown, P.E.I.
  4. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Tapers for flugel mouthpieces are one of the most "misty" issues in horn discussions.

A well known mp maker from England once told me if the mouthpiece fits,
    is airtight and works, it works!

I have used Conn, Denis Wick, Yamaha and at the moment I use Taylor
    on my Conn V1, all with different shanks, but all of them works for me.

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Different brands of flugelhorns have different sized tapers, when ordering a mouthpiece always specify what make and model your using.