Yamaha, King , Bach Strad, or Bach Omega?!?!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by FraserBand, Nov 25, 2008.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Oh I wanted to add that you might consider a custome trumpet built of of a solid foundation like an Olds Ambasador or a VIntage trumpet the the old King Liberty USN for instance........DQ Custom's start's out with an Olds Ambasador Valve case and then they add their copper bell, reverse leadpipe and ovate style tuning slide, armondo water keys, havey caps and buttons. They sell this for $1095 and you can order it with a few different options includeing custom designed heavy braceing etc...... The old King Liberty USN models where professional models and they can easily be had cheap enough that even if you sent the trupet out for a complete restoration you would still be well under a $1000 for a pro-trumpet. I would keep all my options open and really think long and hard about why you want a pro-trumpet as in what will it do for me or what do I want it to do for me this way you know exactly what you are looking for in a trumpet. Each brand and each design is going to have a slightly different sound,slotting will very greatly as will the timber etc......

So what exactly is it that you current trumpet will not do that you expect a pro-trumpet to do for you? I am just asking so I have an idea of what it is specificly that you are looking for in the trumpet. What do you like about your current trumpet? What do you hate? What would you change about it if you could change anything? What have you tried from your peer's and friends that worked well for you so far?

2. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    lovevixen555 and other critics -- You are right; I'm sorry, I spoke too soon. I was thinking of the kind of Yamaha trumpets that they will give you when you ask for a starter horn. You have to admit that Yamaha does make a lot of amateur brands, though. I meant to say that Marcinkiewicz is like a pro brand though. They are not student horns, they are very beautiful handcrafted instruments. I'm not just blowing steam out of my mouth, either. My instructor and I both tried out a Stomvi mambo, a Marcinkiewicz Vermeer (that I own now) and a Bach Stradivarius. We selected the Marcinkiewicz because we both liked the sound, and not because we were going on name brand. You know, everyone that you talk to has a Bach Stradivarius, and I want to be a bit more original, thus my Marcinkiewicz. (By the way the person sold us the horn used for $600. You are totally right, I wouldn't have bought it at the $2600 he did, but who can resist a deal like that?) So I didn't even buy it from Marcinkiewicz.

3. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    someone sold you a Marcinkiewicz for $600?

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Was it Rick Chartrand?

-cw-

5. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    I said!!--"You're right, I'm sorry." About the outrageous statement

6. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Edited by Rowuk

Slander is totally out of line!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2008
  7. ManGo

ManGo Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    London
    Yes, that's always a bad quality in a trumpet.ROFL

8. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    If you want to see w preety unrestored un molsted Old's youhave 18 hours before it is gone! 1958 Vintage Olds Tri-Color "Special" Trumpet - eBay (item 150311640864 end time Nov-29-08 18:17:51 PST)

Oh and if you changed the top portion of the valve case so it is sligly less barel shaped, put standard lever style water key's on and wrote Medalist onthe Bell and Reynolds on the valve case that is almost exactly what my Reynolds Medalist lookslike. Mine has the same lead pipe, same finger rest, same nickle tuning slides, exact same shape right doen to the bell. My valve caps,finger bottons, and the shape of all the tubeing is exactly like my Reynolds Medalist. Mine has a two tone lacquer the bell is almost silver like but you can tell it is not silver plated it in the lacquer then it transitions to a gold tint lacquer and then you have all the nickle on it. My finish is slightly better shape then this one but my lead pipe needs to be replaceds. It is unreal since this is the first Old's I have seen that looks like my Reynolds Medalist it is almost exactly like mine. Now I have to wounder since Old's and Son's owned Reynolds when my Medalist was produced if I have a rebadged "Olds Special" in terms of the materials, design and construcction??? It would go a long way to explain why it sounds so darn nice!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  9. FraserBand

FraserBand New Friend

Nov 23, 2008
    Metro Detroit Area
    lovevixen555... thank you for you wonderful tips i will keep in touch.

and thank you to everyone that is helping me on my adventurous quest for the perfect horn.
    thanks again

10. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Did you listen to Trent Austins trumpet comparison polls files????? I ask because their is a Martin Empiral on Ebay right now that looks like it is great shape! If you like the sound of Trent's on Cherokee this would be your chance to get one! Anyone that does not think a vintage Martin Imperial is a pro-horn needs to get their ears checked! So go take a look. If I had not spent the last three days buying presents for my three boy's and the rest of my family I would all over that trumpet like white on rice!