Yamaha, King , Bach Strad, or Bach Omega?!?!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by FraserBand, Nov 25, 2008.

1. TrumpEd

TrumpEd Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2008
    Texas
    I must be getting old or something but Solar Bell hits the nail on the head, how's that for a euphemism! I believe there is NO best trumpet, only a best for you, and there are MANY TOP-QUALITY trumpets available. You have to try them yourself.

Unfortunately it's a common question with only opinions for answers, and you know what 'they' say about opinions:roll:.

Go to 11 mile and visit. (BTW: I lived at the Sheraton-Cadillac for almost a year back in '73, anyone remember Burroughs?! Qualified for a civilian C.I.B....)

2. FraserBand

FraserBand New Friend

Nov 23, 2008
    Metro Detroit Area
    just wanted to let you all know that i have made my decision..... King Silver Flair.
    this trumpet just treated me so well and i just loved it. i hope it treats me well in the future and i wish you all good luck on your "trumpet quests".

3. GlassMen91

GlassMen91 New Friend

Dec 9, 2008
    Toledo
    How much are you paying for it and from where? I am looking for a new trumpet as well and the King Silver Flair is one I have been looking at.

4. FraserBand

FraserBand New Friend

Nov 23, 2008
    Metro Detroit Area

i found mine at Anderson Music. at the troy shop they have one left.
    check out the website.

Anderson Music

buttttt............ i found a silver flair on a website with a 1st valve trigger, 3c mouthpiece, and a case for less than the $1,294.50 that i was priced for.
    i bought the one online for around $1,149.00 and there is no tax outside of florida and it came with more!!!!
    give it a shot?????
    the website is.......

Buy King Silver Flair 2055T Trumpet | Trumpets | Musician's Friend

:play::thumbsup: good luck in your searching!!!!!

5. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Congrats on the horn, I'm sure you're excited! I hope it works out well.

6. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    As many have stated above, it is a matter of preference. You have to feel comfortable with the instrument in your hands. Once you put that mouthpiece to your lips it becomes part of you. The trumpet you choose does not have to be a state of the art expensive one, but one that you play your heart out. I found a "like new" Bach Omega that has just as good a sound as a Strad. It stands up with the best of them.

7. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    The 3001MV is just like a Xeno or a Bach Strad 180-37.....If you want something different look at the heavy belled Getzen 3051 or the Genisis Model. I doubt you would be happy with the anything lower then the 900 series really. By the time you get tot he Getzen 900 yo might as well consider the 3051 witht he Heavy bell. I would say call your local Getzen dealer and have them order in some for you to try. I tend to think the oposite of most people. I would get a Heavy belled trumpet over a light one if I have to make it do a bit of everything because most not all but most light weight belled trumpet's are not so hot at doing Jazz work. Their are exceptions but most light weight belled trumpet's are way too bright for anything other then lead and solo work. Schilke and Harrelson make some nice sounding lightweight belled jazz trumpet's but again I would say these are the exceptions not the norm. The light weight copper belled Schikes are a dream to listen too I have not played one only heard it.

I have a cousin that I believe has the 3051 witht he heavy yellow brass bell and it a great sounding instrument with a lifetime warranty ont he valves. Have you considered a Bach Strad with the heavy bell? What about the Xeno they have a great reputation for durability if it has the sound you like. In the end it is up to you but since you and your new trumpet will be spending a lot of time together best make sure she is what you want!

What about the King 600????? What does it do well that you could use it for? I guess what I am saying is if it already sounds great as a Jazz trumpet or lead what ever then this is one less thing that the new trumpet has to be good at. Some times asking a trumpet to do too many things well means you end up with more compromise's then you would like. Decide what is most important to you for this new trumpet and focus on that and you will probably be happier in the end. Bear inmind that after you have the new trumpet you could consider some small modifications to the old work horse that got you where you are. Meaning that maybe a different tuneing slide and leadpipe and the old king could have some new life breathed into her. This might take some of the pressure off the new trumpet needing to be all and do all! Few people expect one trumpet to do it all!

8. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If you can find a Bach Omega made in the mid-90's, you will get a great trumpet that will keep up with the best of them. I can not say enough about my Omega. It holds it's own with the Strads.

9. FraserBand

FraserBand New Friend

Nov 23, 2008
    Metro Detroit Area
    i happened to have a great honor of playing a bach strad from 1963 and it was wonderful! i loved it.
    i also got to play a historic horn. one of the original trumpets from the New York Symp. Orchestra (i think from late 1800's), is at anderson music, it plays better than any trumpet i have ever heard, or played before!!!!
    considering i have only been playing 6 years.

10. trpteddrumaner12

trpteddrumaner12 New Friend

Jun 29, 2009
    Brooklyn MI
    i'll meet you thereROFL...how bout Novi?? Lansing? haha....how about cabellas?!