Yamaha Question

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Tootsall, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I have a friend who is looking at buying a used trumpet for their daughter. They are considering a Yamaha YTR-732. I can find little on this instrument, including age. Does anybody have any good/bad stories about them? Can anyone post a link to the website that (used?) to have serial number/ages for Yamaha instruments? (I can't find anything through Yamaha.com).

Thanks all.

2. mheffernen5

mheffernen5 Pianissimo User

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Thanks, Molly... but I'm looking for a bit more information than that! Preferably some "personal experience"!

4. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    These are generally excellent trumpets. I played a 738 for a year or so. That's the same bell as this one, but with a .463" bore. Just be sure that the valves are smooth and fast. A few of these horns have the cursed "yamalloy" valves that got very sticky after a sort time. If the valves are good today, there's nothing to worry about now because the trouble would have shown itself long ago.

The street price on these is $300 to just under $700, making this one of the best buys. The assembly quality is top notch and the design is by Schilke. EXCELLENT trumpets in this whole series (excepting the Yamalloy horns).

Dave

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Yeah, the problem here is that a lady got my name from the University jazz prof who thought I *might* have a pro horn for sale. He was referring to the 180/37 that I had a couple of years back. Anyway, she was wanting to buy her daughter a pro horn before Christmas but couldn't afford the $2,000 + (Cdn) that it would cost and was looking for used. There isn't much around our neck of the woods but I found a shop that I trust who have a 732 (and a 180/37) for sale used.

I told her that the 732 was a good price but that there *might* be a valve problem...

The shop is 800 miles away so getting "return" if it does prove to be a sticky valver (which could take a week or three to evidence itself) could be problematic.

At the moment I've found a B5 with a recent (non-Yammaloy) serial number that might fit the bill better for her. The would-be recipient is not a music major but does really like jazz so..... I'll pass the info along and the rest is up to them. She is "stepping up" from a student horn (no, I don't know what it is but I'll bet its brand starts with "Y".)

6. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Well, if you do indeed trust them, then have them oil it up and give you a full report on the valves. Tell them you'll expect return shipping reimbursement if the valves are funky and see what they say. These trumpets are incredible bargains so long as the valves are good and the silver isn't worn off. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of price are they seeking?

Dave

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    $750 US. But it is located in Canada so there is no hassle with cross border shipment costs/delays etc.

8. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Ok. That is near the upper limit we'd expect here in the US. It should be at almost 100% at that price. Still, if it is, then that would give many years of service.

Dave