Yamaha silent brass system

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lezwoymn, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    I have a silent brass system. I usually use rechargeable batteries for it (9 volt). I charged both fully and I don't seem to hear much like I usually do. I don't have a brand new battery to try in it right now. I'm wondering if anyone who uses this would know, if you think the batteries are just low or perhaps it might have broke some how. I really hope it's the batteries, but, I'd like some input to ease my mind a bit, seeing as how it's not a cheap item. TY

2. LLD

LLD New Friend

Oct 18, 2007
    Hi there, I got the system for christmas, and I have a couple of suggestions.

First, make sure that the cable that hooks into the mute is screwed in all the way, this has a big effect on the sound.

Otherwise, maybe try using a standard (alkaline?) 9V battery, I know sometimes rechargables have funny variations in voltage and other electrical nonsense.

I don't really know what else could go wrong. check connections.

hope it works out

3. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Are your rechargeable batteries meant for digital devices? If so you might want to try other batteries. LLD is right, the cable may be the cause as well. Make sure it's fully plugged in on both sides. If so, then it may be a short in the wiring?

E.

ps - Which silent brass system takes a 9V? Mine takes six AAAs

4. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    sometimes I have problems with the headphone jack... probably from accidentally pull it out or getting it stuck on something i sometimes have to position it or wiggle it a certain way to get sound to the phones. a PIA but it still works

5. LLD

LLD New Friend

Oct 18, 2007
    The ST9 unit uses a 9V, came bundled with my PM7 mute.

6. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    thank you for all who responded. I tried a new battery, no change. So, I checked all the connections, no change. I did notice that as soon as I put in the battery, it'd work for a split second, which led me to look at the metal plates that touch the battery. I pulled one out a bit and it worked. I guess from changing batteries, it got pushed a bit down and wasn't making a full connection. So, it's great now. TY again for your responses.

7. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I have and use a Yamaha Silent Brass mute on a regular basis to keep from disturbing the infants just across the driveway from my practice room. My S.B. uses six AAA batteries or 117VAC. My far away choice is the 117VAC power source. My major complaint on the S.B. is the earbuds. They are pure trash!!!! I picked up a set of stereo headphones at Radio Shack for just over $10.00 which work a treat.

OLDLOU>>