yamaha sterling silver

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by musicalmason, Apr 29, 2004.

1. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Ive seen these yammi SS mouthpieces floating around for around $200, I was just wanding if they actually played any differently that a regular silver plated mouthpiece.

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    different density would add some mass to them... probably make them feel more like a heavyweight (which they would be). Other than that, I can't see any benefits. (well, with the exception of the intangible "I got one, you don't")

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    "I got one, you don't" ... made me laugh!

They are supposed to be more dense, and therefore have a darker tone. A sterling silver bell (not silver plated) does the same thing with the density and makes for a darker sound.

I guess if people will buy a Monette Prana, why not a Sterling Silver Yammie?
    [​IMG]

4. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    Back when I was a Yamaha 14A4a player I owned the regular weight(two actually, bought one and one came with my piccolo) and the heavy gold-plate. There was a subtle difference in the sound and response from the regular to the gold. The heavy gold was a hair more stable and thicker sounds, but again, very small different. What I did notice was just how much softer gold is on the lips. You really can feel the difference. When I tried the sterling silver(only spent a few minutes with it) I couldn't tell any difference at all. It played just like the regular ones as far as I could tell. And at $500 canadian I wasn't terribly interested.

I don't think it's any coincidence that Yamaha is the only manufacturer that makes a SS mouthpiece because it makes little if any difference. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Yamaha are the only ones that do it.