Yamaha tight valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    As I posted earlier, my new Xeno valves stuck after a few weeks of non use. These valves are obviously not broken in as yet. I use Ultrapure on them when I am playing the horn. I loosened the pistons with some more oil but only cleaned them with a lint free rag. I re oiled and the next day the first valve showed signs of sticking again. So.....
    1) Do I need to bathe the horn when I have left it for a while?
    2) Do I use Alisyn on the casings and pistons then re oil?
    3) Do I do both of the above?
    4) Should I just play the horn every day?:play:

2. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    I'd just play it. If you just have to oil the valves to get them to work, it ain't that bad.

It's common for valves to get a bit stiff if you don't play for awhile, especially if there's any temperature variance wherever you store the horn. I'd expect they'll get better the more often you play.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  3. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Just play it, as with my bach strad 37 i took about a 2 weeks until the were starting to show signs of 'loosening up'.

Peace NYCO37

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Play it and clean it everyday. Give special attention to washing and drying the valves, making sure you do your best to clean the bores between the cylinders, and to the slides. While new the playing of tight valves will generate fine metallic waste and you want to be sure to get it out or it will score the valves.

v

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Exactly! Yamaha has some of the the best tight fitting valves in the industry. With a new horn they need careful attention when "breaking" them in. You should clean the pistons AND casings everyday. You should be getting some blackish residue on the cloth. This is from the fine metallic waste from the break in. Continue until the day there is no black on the rag. usually takes about two weeks of playing it everyday. I use Alysin solvet/ cleaner or you can use valve oil to clean the pistons and casings.

6. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    Veery, how do you clean the bores between the cylinders? Only way I can think of is to bathe the entire horn.:dontknow:

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Bruce,

You can usually run a snake through the bottom leg or the 3rd valve slide OR the leadpipe feeding into 3 and get it into the tube between 2 and 3. For the one between 1 and 2 one leg or the other of the 1st valve slide will let you get to it. Do with the pistons out, and be gentle so you don't poke the end of the snake (if metal) into the side of the cylinder if you miss. You can also wind the end of a pipe cleaner around a pencil to make a tubing sized swab, and bend the thing 90 degrees and do it from the bottom of the cylinder.

What works really well is a Water Pik, if you happen to have a spare end for it.

v

8. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Use only Yamaha valve oil.
    I had the same problem with a Y9810.