yamaha xeno matte finish

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Jazzman, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Jazzman

Jazzman Pianissimo User

Dec 16, 2003
    I just tried one of these and it was an awesome player.......anyone play one? 8)

2. latinjazzcat

latinjazzcat Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    West Virginia
    Jazzman-

Where did you play it at? I remember reading a post somewhere that mentioned that these were only sent to certain dealers.

3. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Brook Mays' LBJ store in Dallas, TX has two or three 8335RGSMs and RGMs. I've played three of them and each played exactly like the others EXCEPT the Silvers were a little brighter than the lacquer one.

I really like Yamaha's matte, it's shot rather than scratched, giving an even finish that looks like ceramic.

Search on 8335R and you'll find my reviews. If they're not here, then look over at TH. (I post both places, but TM may not have been up yet). They are a limited edition, but not particularly rare.

Dave

4. Jazzman

Jazzman Pianissimo User

Dec 16, 2003
    Yes, the finish looks to be almost ceramic and after trying it against a yamaha xeno in silver and lacquer, the matte had the darker/warmer tone. It is here at a local music store that is a yamaha dealer. I am quite impressed with the horn and actually thinking on buying it. I know that they are hard to come by and kind of a "special order" that the dealers have to make with yamaha. I am amazed at how well the xeno plays. I mean, I never really liked yamaha horns before, but the xeno is a very good player. If I bought this horn, I could see playing it for as long as it would last...... 8)

5. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Jazz, yes, they are very good horns and very consistant from horn to horn. If you want a little darker still, then the RGM (no S) is the way to go. I preferred the three-tone look (brass, nickel, gold-brass) and I thought that the finish seemed deeper (probably like the effect of a "clear-coat" on a car).

From behind the horn, the RGSM and the RGM sound the same, but when you catch the reflection the non-silver has less high overtones.

Dave

6. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey guys... I'm going to bead blast a GREAT Olds super and will post pics once the project is complete (don't worry, I've done this before!)

Best,

Trent

7. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Hey, Trent, I think you posted this to the wrong thread some how.

Dave