YAMAHA XENO, reversed lead pipe

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by azhiba, Sep 12, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We are not in disagreement. If a horn is specifically designed with a reversed leadpipe then it does what it is supposed to. If we think that we can outguess the designer, we are plain wrong.

If we take a Xeno and convert it, what I said will happen. That doesn't mean that nobody will like it.

If we take two Xeno models with and without in a big concert hall, the standard one will have a more consistent sound throughout the hall. In a recording studio or outdoors, the reversed leadpipe could have advantages for the player. In this case the audience gets less.

I am very wary of "comparisons". For they to be significant, we do need to have both horns in our typical playing environments. We all are masters of (self) deception.

2. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008

These are two statements that exactly express
    what also I believe. It is sometimes stated that
    if people "like" something, this proves it to be good.

To my opinion a more scientific approach
    than that is needed, when "proving" is done . . .

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Sofus,
    the proof is what comes out of the front of the horn. If a player is twice as confident because he hears himself better, then the playing results will be more believable. If the player is in a fine room, the instrument with better projection and a fuller sound will be easier to manage.

If you are playing in an almost in tune high school concert band, hearing yourself better will prevent "blasting". If your chops and ears are not extremely mature, the feedback could be useful.

The Monette Ajna2 that I owned was fantastic in concert halls. I did quite a few studio gigs too, but they were more work because the room did not give me any sonic clues and the horn did not give me big amounts of feedback. My Prana 3 is a better balance for the variety of trumpet work that I do.

The science is in the psychology of playing. The waveform issue has been long proven.