Yamaha Xeno "Shotblast" finish.

Discussion in 'Horns' started by rms573, Feb 20, 2005.

1. rms573

rms573 New Friend

Feb 8, 2005
    One of my old teacher's just became endorsed by Yamaha. He currently has a 8335RG w/ a shotblast lacquer finish on trial from stu's music in Westminster, MD. Stu's (and Dillon's) did not have any xeno's in lacquer at the time. Has anybody had any experience with this shotblast finish? And if so...do you notice any difference from standard lacquer?

He wanted to know if they just brushed the lacquer or did something all together different to the finish.

2. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    I play a silver plate 8335RGS. I have been told the shotblast finish makes the horn slot better in the upper register. After all, its just laquer they "shot" with glass beads isnt it?

Stu's is a great place to deal with. I have known Larry for several years and he is a great guy in a tough business. I have gotten all my horns from him.

3. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Shotblast increase range? :?:

I need to see some pics.

Van

4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I doubt it would too, but I but that finish looks awful purdy!

Van

5. the chief

the chief Pianissimo User

Feb 9, 2004
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Is that the way all of the Xeno Bb leadpipes look..... Or is that a reversed set up?

7. the chief

the chief Pianissimo User

Feb 9, 2004
    That's not mine, it's a picture taken from ebay a while back.

8. JimmyH

JimmyH New Friend

Mar 1, 2005
    Purchased a (lacquer) shotblast finish Xeno for my son a couple of months ago. After testing a mountain of horns, the Xeno seemed to be the best fit for him. I caved and purchased the shotblast finish because my son thought it was 'cool' - I hope that 'cool' results in longer practice sessions. Anyway, (all things being equal) this particular finish does appear to have a slightly darker sound, but no indication that the finish improves range.

My take on the horn? ........it does look cool.

Regards.

9. joey

joey Pianissimo User

Nov 19, 2003
    Bloomington
    leadpipes

To clarify,

The Xeno, without the 'shotblast' finish, is available in both a straight leadpipe and reverse leadpipe configuration. The straight pipe has the double main tuning slide braces, similar to a Bach.

The 'shotblast' is only available in the reverse configuration, with only the single brace on the main tuning slide.

joey

10. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    As you can see in my post, I stated I had been told the shotblast helps notes" slot better" in the upper range. Not add range. All a finish will do is change the weight and resonance of the material.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has done a scratch gold finish on a Xeno and how it effected the playing characteristics