Yamaha Xeno valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jtbtrumpet91, Feb 19, 2009.

1. jtbtrumpet91

jtbtrumpet91 Pianissimo User

Jan 30, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    The valves on both my Bb and C Xenos seem extremely unresponsive and prone to random hang-ups. I've never had this problem with any other horn I've played, and none of those were Xeno. I was talking to someone who plays Bach today and he played my Xeno. The first thing he said was "wow I hate Xeno valves."

Have any other Xeno users experienced this? I'm starting to get frustrated because the horns play great it's just the valves!

2. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

No, in fact, I've noticed the opposite, my valves are fantastic. I play my Xeno Bb every day for several hours, and rarely have a problem. I'd reccomend that you try running the Yamaha "Light" Synthetic oil...this does help. I used Blue Juice for a bit, and there were a few hang-ups here and there, but nothing like what you describe. However, I don't think that I've had any problem with Xeno valves while using the synthetic oil.

3. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    In general, Yamaha trumpet valves are fitted a little tightly than other trumpet brands. Like Brass Crusader said, you should use thinner valve oil.:-)

4. TrumpetJ

TrumpetJ New Friend

Dec 28, 2008
    Knoxville,TN
    Ditto. I use the Yamaha synthetic oil and have never had a problem. Give the synthetic oil a try.

5. jtbtrumpet91

jtbtrumpet91 Pianissimo User

Jan 30, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks, I'll give it a try

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I had problems until I went to Ultra-Pure and all problems have been solved. I have the Artist Model Xeno's in Bb & C. The valves in these models are tighter fit than most.

7. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Why not report back to let us know how the Yamaha "Light" synthetic oil is working for you? Thanks!

Best wishes, :thumbsup:

Lloyd

8. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    I think the problem is never the valves, until proven guilty. The problem I discover are water "traps", whereas I unscrew the bottom valve cap off and empty.

Grit, Dog hair, Slide grease......do you keep a chop stick in your case? Why not? Roll a paper towel tightly around a chopstick and you have a perfect valve wall swab. Take the valve and bottom cap off, swab the inner cavity, fresh oil, done.

It's not "the wrong oil" you're using; I believe, that there are combinations of oil and slide grease used together on a given trumpet in which the oil in the valve casing will dissolve any stray globs of slide grease that inevitably make their way into the sensitive area. And in a combination of grease/oil in which the grease might not be dissolved inside the valve casing, the valve gets sluggish.

I don't think the blame should always be the oil w/o ever suspecting the grease.

I think we should call Myth Busters about this one maybe they can test this one out on the show!

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Tight tolerances in Yamaha valves means that any hooking or pushing of the valves can make them hang. Make sure you always go straight up and down when you press them.

10. TrumpetJ

TrumpetJ New Friend

Dec 28, 2008
    Knoxville,TN
    No no. Something will get blown up eventually. Did you see what they did to that trombone?