Yamaha Xeno valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jtbtrumpet91, Feb 19, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If we are honest to ourselves, we realize that any precision device is prone to operational "hazards". In the case of valves that can be not brushing our teeth, not regularly cleaning the horn PROPERLY, not oiling the valves properly or often enough.

Remember that foreign materials in the instrument wander over time and not brushing your teeth today can cause a hang next week. I have also often noticed that most trumpet players do NOT oil correctly. They just pull the valve out a bit and oil on top of the moisture and grunge. One really needs to wipe the valve AND casing everytime and then oil the CLEAN, DRY metal directly. Oil floats on moisture and that causes increased wear and worse performance.

Comments like I "hate" border on ridiculous as they blame fine hardware for shortcomings on the side of the owner. The pros that I know using Yamaha instruments praise the valves - but then again, when you make money with the horn, you tend to avoid things that could change your reputation!

Let's keep the thread serious instead of documenting our own laziness!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I know you are a horn technician, but I wonder if you are correct in this regard. As I see it, tight tolerance valves mean the pistons will get skewed very little off the vertical axis when pushed or hooked. In a looser fit there is more room for the piston to get tilted off-axis when sideways pressure is applied on the buttons. Once tilted, the bottom and top are pushed against opposite sides of the cylinder wall, and they then cause drag. On the downstroke the bottom edge of the piston digs into the cylinder wall; on the upstroke the top edge does. It usually ends up being more pronounced on the upstroke because the pressure applied when you push down is more than that applied by the spring pushing it back up.
    veery

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I'm wondering if the people who complain about Yamaha valves know how to "break" new valves in. Yamaha valves are some of the most precise of the big Co. horns out there. Because of this you have to break them in properly. Also they don't like sloppy finger technique.

4. jtbtrumpet91

jtbtrumpet91 Pianissimo User

Jan 30, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    OK, so after a week or so its time for an update. I went out and got some Yamaha light synthetic oil, and it even mentioned on the package it worked well with rotarys and tight-tolerance pistons. As of now, the problem is solved and the valves feel more secure and dependable. Thanks for all the advice!

5. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    It's a shame Lovevixen555 isn't here to blame it on the monel pistons. :lol:

6. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    lol

7. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    operagost: you're a good surrogate...