Yamaha XENO

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Annie, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    I just got back from the MMEA convention (Maryland Music Educators Association). There were some representatives from Yamaha, Jupitor, and Getzen - and a few of the music store representatives had a good line of trumpets.

The best out of the 5/6 models I tried was the Yamaha XENO - It was the most free-blowing. It was awesome! The only problem is I didn't have my trumpet with me to compare! At least I had my mouthpiece...Any other thoughts on this instrument?

Also, I forget which brand, but there is a brand that makes a trumpet with a bell like Dizzy Gillespies - that one seemed kind of funky to me. It played well when you play like him - but it was stuffy if you tried to play it in a proper position. Funny thing one of the vendors said when I mentioned a horn or two being & feeling 'stuffy' - He said that was for the high range. WHAT? For some reason, that makes no sense to me!

2. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yamaha Xeno. They are great horns. I sadly just sold my Xeno C trumpet. Free blowing, near-perfect intonation, good response, even sound--some terms to describe them. The build quality is very good too.

As for the "Dizzy" bell trumpet, I believe it's Holton or someone similar who makes that model. Funky is a good word for that. Oh, yeah, the vendor who told you that the stuffiness is for range......HA! Yeah right.

3. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Xenos are good instruments. Very consistent. I almost chose one as my no.1 horn, but found it was a bit too large a bore for me. Have you tried the reverse-leadpipe version? I found that much nicer to play than the regular ones.

4. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    My favorite Xeno is the 8335RGM (reverse/gold-brass/matte). There are several Xeno models so you need to pay attention to which you are trying.

If I could "play...well when you play like him (Dizzy)" I'd stop right there! I think you meant something else. ;-) Anyway, forget about the Dizzy-horn unless you're a "special needs" player. Which reminds me, Jupiter makes a Dizzy-horn, which I've never tried, BUT their XO Tribune is an excellent horn for under $1000 street price.

Dave

5. mheffernen5

mheffernen5 Pianissimo User

6. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    There's a Dizzy style horn made by King called the Silver flair. I read somewhere that it's the same model that Dizzy used to play, I don't know if thats true though. You can see it here http://www.unitedmusicalinstruments.com/