Yamaha YFH 651T flugelhorn has arrived!!! Yes!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, May 15, 2015.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    What a lovely, lovely sound! It's really more a "voice" than the sound of an instrument. Rich, warm, flexible...gentle, sincere...easy to play and not stuffy at all. Flat wow.
    Now, she HAS the character that comes from having had a "Life" before. This is definitely NOT a museum piece, but perfectly presentable and sound, ready to go and use. Just the way that I want one to be.

Take a peek at my new baby:
    YAMAHA YFH 635T Photo by gordonfurr59 | Photobucket

rettepnoj likes this.
  2. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    It is a YFH 635T
    Sorry.

3. kinetic711

kinetic711 Piano User

Sep 15, 2014
    North Eastern Ont, Canada
    Congratulations! It must be extra sweet after all of that Conn 28B angst!

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ahh....I am full of angst. I suppose one could call me "Earnest Angst Lee" if you get the obscure joke hidden in that.
    Yes, the Conn just made me feel uneasy. It was TOOOO...I guess fancy for me. I just wasn't comfortable about it, though it was an incredible trumpet. This flugelhorn is different...extremely GOOD, yes..but it has been bumped, fixed, refinished, refinished again. It LOOKS nice, its just honest. And the SOUND and easy playability...I am really an old (French) horn player...and the flugelhorn is a great compromise between the sound I am used to creating mixed with a trumpet that is more generally used in the casual world. I like it. Much more natural to me. And FAR easier to play than a French horn..except that my right hand mobility is still low. I figured a flugel might well be easier to finger left-handed on those days my right is especially balky. Thanks for the congrats! What a treat this is!

5. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Very presentable. Glad to see it has a 3rd slide trigger. Enjoy!

6. Gino

Gino New Friend

Jul 31, 2015
    Staffordshire
    Just invested in a YFH631GS myself and am very impressed. My old horn was riddled with intonation problems which was starting to knock my confidence, but since getting the Yamaha which seems as sweet as anything all through my register, (just needing a bit of trigger around the low D's) I have seen a massive improvement. It's so much easier to play and I feel far less fatigued after a full rehearsal on this than my old instrument.

Only thing I didn't like was the mouthpiece which came with it, as it made my sound a bit to bright (I use it in a brass band) so I have stuck with my Denis Wick 4FL which seems to suit the horn nicely.

How you getting on with it 10 weeks on?

7. dcpritchett

dcpritchett Pianissimo User

Jan 20, 2015
    Central FL
    Very nice Gordon. Now we can do a duet.... What mouthpiece are you going to use? I am very jealous of the hard case. Mine came in a cardboard box. I have ordered a gig bag but would rather have a hard case. The only issue is will it fit since flugels are all individual in configuration.

8. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Congratulations. I never played one but I know a lot of people will consider it some holy grail. And they are severe rare.
    BTW the 635T has not much to do with the 631 (for Gino).

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    So what's the difference between the 635 and the 631?

10. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    The biggest difference is the bore and that's quite important for the character of the instruments. The 635T has what I call the French bore 0.413 which make it a flugel in the Cuesnon-style. It has to be played that way, seperately from the trumpet.
    The 631 has a 0.433 bore what's THE typical bore for doubler's horns that makes that you can treat these hornes a little (I admit: only a little bit) more roughly. Further out of my memory- the 631 had a goldbrass bell (there is a type with a redbrass bell if I remember well), the 635 has a yellowbrass bell (like the 731).
    May be there is more but I don't know.

Oh, and I forget: the 635 is considered a TREMENDOUS flugel, the 631 a (very) good one.

Culbe likes this.