Yamaha YFH 651T flugelhorn has arrived!!! Yes!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, May 15, 2015.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Take notes playing it and then compare ease of holding to your various custom trumpet ideas!

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Ok, that all makes sense, although I'm not sure that the bore size is really too relevant. My Kanstul CCF 925 was .415 and it never seemed to make much difference using it as a doubling instrument. It never felt tight, or like I had to approach it differently due to the smaller bore. Likewise, I've used both a genuine 631, and my ACB Doubler, (with rose brass bell) which is a solid clone of a 631, and while the ACB Doubler is a fantastic flugel for the money, the Kanstul 925 was one sweet horn - I don't know if it was due to the copper bell or if it was just the difference in the design, but to date it's the nicest flugel I've ever played. I'm not sure the Yamaha 635 would be anything different or better.

3. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Some time ago I had an Adams F1 flugel in 0.413 bore and a Jupiter 846 in 0.433 bore. They played quite differently (for me) in the way that I could not stop myself from overblowing the F1.
    In fact the Jupiter was easier in that point but I didn't like the wonky intonation. But the F1 played very well and very easy but for some reason the horn was not for me. I swapped it for a Concept TT trumpet and I never regretted that.
    And I never played a Yamaha 635T for the simple reason they seem to be disappeared from the surface of the earth, I never saw one in real life. But I know that real professional flugelplayers love that one and I suppose they have a good reason for that.

4. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I got flamed by Bobby Shew for stating that the 635 was based on Couesnon. He told me unequivocally that it was based on the F. Besson flugel. His 6310Z is another matter and I won't say a word. Ask Bobby.

5. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    I didn't mean to say that the 635T was based on the Cuesnon flugel, in fact I have no idea. I only used the words Cuesnon style for that type of small bore flugels because the Cuesnon is quite a famous flugel. As example the smaller flugels built by Hub van Laar (like the B1) are completely inspired by and meant to be a Cuesnon-like flugel (with better intonation).